StrataFrame Forum

column collation

http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic26847.aspx

By Michel Levy - 4/14/2010

Hi,

working on a new project between France and North-Africa, I'll need arabics collations on certain columns in many tables (the rest of database will be in french_ci_as, or french_ci_ai).

I know I can specifiy it in a post-deployement script, but this implies to create index likewise (alter column ... collate my_collation is forbidden if an index uses this column)

Is there another workaround ? (or a plan inside SF team dreams to add/modify column collation Cool )

Thanks in advance

By Trent L. Taylor - 4/15/2010

This is the first time it has come up. We will add this to the list of future enhancements. But there are several more pressing things ahead of it. I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish overall, but is this something that you can do outside of a collation? For example, using NVARCHAR fields and take a unicode approach? It may not meet your needs, I am just trying to understand your current issue.
By Michel Levy - 4/15/2010

Trent,

I understand, this enhancement is certainly not the most important for all SF community.

I really need a specific collation (arabic) on some columns, though the tables will be in a French collation. These fields will be in NCHAR for unicode use, because I need good indices on these fields (few millions of rows per each table)
for example, a Person table will store name CHAR (30) in french script and arabic_name NCHAR(60) in arabic script, and user should ask for an ORDER BY french or by arabic.
In many SP, I'll use select ... where arabic_name ...
That's why specific collation is mandatory.

But I don't think that these structures will be modified, once defined. I've tried to deploy DDT packages on such a database (one column in one table with an arabic_collation), and I can modify all but that column. That's OK for me today (most important is to understand how to do with browsedialog in french AND arabic Pinch , I'll ask you later)

By Trent L. Taylor - 4/15/2010

Gotcha. That makes sense. This is something that we would have to change to provide a certain collation on a per column basis. Like I said, we will add this to the list as the DDT is getting some pretty nice upgrades and as we move forward I want to continue to accommodate all needs in this area. So it will make it in, just don't know exactly when. I have just added this post to the "to-do" list.