StrataFrame Forum

Serialization Exception

http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic31260.aspx

By Larry Caylor - 7/12/2012

Need some help in figuring out what is causing this error (see attachment). It's only happening for a particular query. The query runs fine if I reconfigure the app to directly connect to the database.

-Larry
By Edhy Rijo - 7/12/2012

Hi Larry,

Based on the exception, you are using the Enterprise Server, is this correct?

I have not used the Enterprise server yet, but one thing to be sure is that your server and application are loading the correct assemblies.

I finally traced down the cause of the problem, although the exception message was not that helpful. I'm using the enterprise server custom serialization and it turns out that I have one field in one table that is a GUID which is apparently not supported by ES customization. Any suggestions on how to work around this? I'd like to stay with custom serialization since it really cuts down on the network traffic.

-Larry
By Edhy Rijo - 7/12/2012

Hi Larry,

I am glad you traced what is causing this issue, unfortunately I will not be able to help you out with more details since I have never used the Enterprise server.  I am sure Trent, Ivan or somebody else using the Enterprise will be able to chime in Unsure

Figured it out. Changed the field in the database from uniqueidentifier to binary(16) and placed some custom code in BOMapper to convert it from a byte array to GUID on Get and GUID to byte array on Set. Now that it is a binary field in the database ES custom serialization can handle it and it still appears as a GUID to my Infragistics appointment(Calendar) control.

-Larry
By Edhy Rijo - 7/13/2012

Hi Larry,
I am happy to hear you figure it out.  Would you mind posting the Get/Set code?