StrataFrame Forum

Help: New development environment VS 2022

http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic33623.aspx

By sincro - 7/7/2024

Hello everyone,

I need your help to set up a new development environment based on Visual Studio 2022 and StrataFrame V1. I know there are several posts on this topic, but could someone kindly provide me with the updated steps for installation on VS 2022 17.10.3?

Additionally, I use DevExpress for graphical components. Can I continue using the same sources from StrataFrameInheruitedUI and recompile them, or do I need different sources?

Thank you for your availability and assistance.

Best regards,
Fabrizio
By Edhy Rijo - 7/28/2024

sincro - 7/8/2024
Hello everyone,

I need your help to set up a new development environment based on Visual Studio 2022 and StrataFrame V1. I know there are several posts on this topic, but could someone kindly provide me with the updated steps for installation on VS 2022 17.10.3?

Additionally, I use DevExpress for graphical components. Can I continue using the same sources from StrataFrameInheruitedUI and recompile them, or do I need different sources?

Best regards,
Fabrizio

Hi Fabrizio,
Sorry I could not reply before, I've been super busy.

I use VS 2022 with SF, but unfortunately, not every extensibility tool works in VS 2022 despite the last extension update released by Trent.

For example...
  1. The Business Object Mapper: It works but in my case, my VS solution has 5 projects and it takes several minutes to load.
  2. The DDT has to be called from outside VS.  This is not an issue for me since it does not depend on VS so that is fine.
  3. Messages and Translation tools may not work.  I don't use them anymore, I use the DevExpress message box instead—unfortunately, no more data-driven messages which was cool to use in SF.
  4. SF Security is working fine.
  5. For some controls like combobox, the extensibility types are not working, so configuring a lookup via the extensibility tool may not be possible, you can manually copy the serialized setting for another one and hack the form.designer class to create a new one, but if you are creating a lot of new forms, that is a huge inconvenience.
There may be other things here and there, but for me, it is working and I fully depend on SF.

As for the SF Inherited UI, I have good news.  For many years I was able to use the SF source code to keep this one updated with the latest DX releases.  I use DevExpress for almost all controls except the SF base form that has all the logic for the business object.  I love DevExpress controls and I have a compiled version of this assembly for many DevExpress versions, so if you need a specific one, I can send it to you.
For the instructions on how to install in VS 2022, I would prefer to hear from Trent or someone else from MicroFour, maybe there is an update available for the extensibility extension.

Please fee free to reach out to me here or via email if you need more information.  I will continue to be quite busy with a project scheduled to be released in August but will do what I can to help you out.

Best,

By sincro - 7/29/2024

Edhy Rijo - 7/28/2024
sincro - 7/8/2024
Hello everyone,

Best regards,
Fabrizio

Hi Fabrizio,
Sorry I could not reply before, I've been super busy.

I use VS 2022 with SF, but unfortunately, not every extensibility tool works in VS 2022 despite the last extension update released by Trent.

For example...
  1. The Business Object Mapper: It works but in my case, my VS solution has 5 projects and it takes several minutes to load.
  2. The DDT has to be called from outside VS.  This is not an issue for me since it does not depend on VS so that is fine.
  3. Messages and Translation tools may not work.  I don't use them anymore, I use the DevExpress message box instead—unfortunately, no more data-driven messages which was cool to use in SF.
  4. SF Security is working fine.
  5. For some controls like combobox, the extensibility types are not working, so configuring a lookup via the extensibility tool may not be possible, you can manually copy the serialized setting for another one and hack the form.designer class to create a new one, but if you are creating a lot of new forms, that is a huge inconvenience.
There may be other things here and there, but for me, it is working and I fully depend on SF.

As for the SF Inherited UI, I have good news.  For many years I was able to use the SF source code to keep this one updated with the latest DX releases.  I use DevExpress for almost all controls except the SF base form that has all the logic for the business object.  I love DevExpress controls and I have a compiled version of this assembly for many DevExpress versions, so if you need a specific one, I can send it to you.
For the instructions on how to install in VS 2022, I would prefer to hear from Trent or someone else from MicroFour, maybe there is an update available for the extensibility extension.

Please fee free to reach out to me here or via email if you need more information.  I will continue to be quite busy with a project scheduled to be released in August but will do what I can to help you out.

Best,

Hi Edhy,

Thank you very much for your response.

I am encountering several difficulties using StrataFrame in Visual Studio 2022. Here are the steps I followed for the installation:

- Installed Windows 11 + the latest version of Visual Studio 2022 on a Virtual Machine
- Installed your custom StrataFrame package (http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic33478.aspx)
- Installed the latest version of the Visual Studio 2022 Extension (VSIX) - StrataFrame V1
- Installed DevExpress 22.1
- Compiled StrataFrame InheritedUI

At this point, I can compile and run my project without issues, but in the Visual Studio IDE, when I try to change the properties of the StrataFrame components, I get an activation warning, even though the license is already installed and active.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Fabrizio
; height: 22px; width: 22px; top: 276px; left: 1396px;">