Error Using Demo for Trial

Author
Trevor Westerdahl
StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It can be fixed by specifying the correct collation (I.e Latin1_General_CI_AS) in the install scripts. Any SQL Server instance with a different (I.e. case-sensitive - SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS) collation as a server default will fail.

Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Glad you got it going, Trevor. Wink
Trevor Westerdahl
Trevor Westerdahl
StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Getting it going is not an easy task once a database is installed with the wrong collation. I would actually have preferred the demo to work in case-sensitive mode.

I suggest this:

1) Synchronize the demo code to the installed schema such that there are no variations in case sensitivity (that would fix the problem).

OR

2) Have your install scripts specify a case-insensitive collation. If no collation is specified, the default of the server will be used. Certainly, any collations from other languages let alone case sensitivity collation issues will break the demo. It really should only require a small change to one-line for your install script such that it specifies collation when the database is created. Use the built-in script tool for SQL Server for any of your databases and you should see an example of how the collation is specified (the built-in tool will ensure that collation is included in the script).

NOTE: Once a database is installed with the wrong collation, it requires a very complex script to change it. It is a major task to convert a "server's" default as opposed to setting a default for a "database" (within the server).

So, this was resolved by deleting the database and using a different server. Since, I didn't have access to your install script, I could not properly install it on that server. Thus, my two suggestions above.
Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Yep, it makes sense. Thank you for your contribution, I will make sure it goes to our developers. Wink
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...