Remote Subnet Application Speed

Author
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Good morning,

I am targeting the application startup to try to speed things up in our remote location. All databases are in location A. Location B is connected by a dedicated T1 (1.5Mbs) line. I have worked on many data queries to speed up certain windows within the application, now it is time to look at the startup. It takes 3-5 seconds for the application to open in location A. In location B, the app takes 30 seconds or more. What can I do...what can I look at...to increase the speed of the opening main window?

Thanks!

Bill
Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Hi Bill.

Have you considered using the Enterprise Server?

Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Sure. I am not in a position to make the investment. So, in light of that, what tips and tricks are there for getting an application to startup quickly. There does not seem to be a ton of DB activity initially. And, this slowdown occurs when all is quiet on the network.
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Have you figured out what is taking the time? I.e. have you done any profiling? Once we know the answer to that question, then we could likely offer more focused suggestions.
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
I wish I knew what was taking the extra 30 seconds. I am stumped. What do you mean by "profiling"?

I have combed the code both in the program.cs and the initial form that fires up. I do not see anything that stands out. The only thing that I have left to me is to start whacking at the current code...remove all suspected intensive operations, then add them back in one at a time to see which is the culprit. I really do not want to do that because that would involve a lot of updates to currently published applications. It is currently impossible for me to test this application in a controlled environment (one that mimics the two subnets connected by a T1).

If there is anything that I could check in regard to the framework, please let me know. Perhaps a three second startup is to be expected. In light of that, a 30 second startup at the other end might be exactly right. Any insight into the startup plumbing would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Hi Bill.

Bill Cunnien (06/10/2010)
I wish I knew what was taking the extra 30 seconds. I am stumped. What do you mean by "profiling"?

Have a look at this:

http://www.red-gate.com/products/ants_performance_profiler/features.htm

Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
Nice utility, but it doesn't look like it would work in a run-time environment at a remote location.

I'll just start whacking and hacking. Thanks, anyway.
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Bill Cunnien (06/10/2010)
If there is anything that I could check in regard to the framework, please let me know. Perhaps a three second startup is to be expected. In light of that, a 30 second startup at the other end might be exactly right. Any insight into the startup plumbing would be appreciated.

Hi Bill,

Just to clarify, the programs are installed on each workstations, right?

If so, are you using SF security?

Are you using a main form? if so, does this make some sort of database connection or checking before finishing loading?

Edhy Rijo

Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
This is a winforms app and I am using RBS. The main form does have a few security checks going on (which is what I will whack and hack first), but I do not have any other DB activity. The security checks are used to determine what the user sees on the main form.
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
If a check for a specific permission is called like this...

cmdCoolButton.Enabled = (SecurityBasics.CurrentUser.GetPermission("Corporate").Action == PermissionAction.Grant);

...does the CurrentUser (ISecurity) object have it's permissions cached, or does the GetPermission run off to the server each time to perform a check?

It would be nice if they were cached locally. It would speed things up and limit the calls to the DB. The tradeoff is that a user would have to logoff then back on to obtain any new changes to the security profile. The tradeoff might be worth it.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...