BUG: Enforce relationship for INSERTs and UPDATEs

Author
Aaron Young
StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Trent,

As a follow-on to my previous posting, please consider this little test. I deployed my DDT package to a fresh database and did NOT deploy any data. All of the relationships where created correctly in the following format:-

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[GAZETTEER] NOCHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_GAZETTEER_DEPOT]

So far, the database is perfect but I haven't deployed my data yet. For the record, the only data I am deploying are the security permission related tables as in the attached screenshot.

Next I ran the same DDT package and this time choose to only deploy data - no schema changes. Before the data was deployed, the same SQL command as above was run for each relationship. The DDT is clearly trying to turn off the constraint before it copies the data and the DDT is making the assumption the constraint is actually turned on - which it wasn't. Then, the data is deployed. Finally, the DDT recreates the relationships but in the incorrect format of:-

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[GAZETTEER] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_GAZETTEER_DEPOT]

The DDT makes assumptions about how the relationships should be re-created after the data is deployed. It simply doesn't check how they are defined in the DDT package.

The problem is definitely only there if you deploy data.

Regards,

Aaron
Attachments
DDT Wizard.jpg (83 views, 118.00 KB)
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
I will flag this and look at it when we revisit the DDT next.  Thanks for the heads up.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...