Cannot Create Insert command

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Michael,

If you are parsing millions of record in the BO and then want to do an insert to the table, instead of using the BO to insert each record which could take a long time, you can use a combination of the BO datatable and SQLBulkCopy to speed up the process of the inserting the records.
Check out this code:

'' Instead of saving the records, lets use sqlBulkCopy to speed up the import to SQL process
Using destinationConnection As SqlClient.SqlConnection = _
    New SqlClient.SqlConnection(MicroFour.StrataFrame.Data.DataLayer.DataSources(Me.BizCustomersItems1.DataSourceKey).ConnectionString)
    destinationConnection.Open()

Using bulkCopy As SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy = New SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy(destinationConnection)
        Try
            bulkCopy.DestinationTableName = Me.BizCustomersItems1.TableNameAndSchema
            bulkCopy.BatchSize = 50   
            bulkCopy.BulkCopyTimeout = 0

'-- Create a column mapping with all fields in the BO
            For Each fieldName As String In .AllFieldsList()
                bulkCopy.ColumnMappings.Add(fieldName, fieldName)
            Next

bulkCopy.WriteToServer(Me.BizCustomersItems1.CurrentDataTable)
            bulkCopy.Close()

''-- Accept the changes to the data table to avoid message asking to save records.
            Me.BizCustomersItems1.CurrentDataTable.AcceptChanges()

Catch ex As Exception
            MsgBox(ex.ToString)

Finally
            Me.WaitWindow1.HideWaitWindow()
        End Try
    End Using
End Using

Basically I am importing some records in the Me.BizCustomersItems1 business object, since this import can have several thousands of records, I use the SQLBulkCopy passing the BO.CurrentDataTable and then accepting the changes to the Me.BizCustomersItems1 bo to avoid SF to complaint about those records, or you can also do a Me.BizCustomersItems1.Clear()

Hope this is clear and can help you in any way.

Edhy Rijo

StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Good call, Edhy.  A bulk insert into SQL is always the fastest way to go.  It's not worth the energy unless you're inserting 50+ records at a time, but it's an order of magnitude faster when you're inserting 1000+ records at a time.

Michael might be just inserting the records as the HL7 messages are received, in which case the bulk operation wouldn't be worth the energy, but if it's a batch operation that inserts 100+ messages at the same time and he ends up with 1000+ NTE segments that need to be inserted, then a bulk copy is worth considering.
Michael Reese
Michael Reese
StrataFrame User (299 reputation)StrataFrame User (299 reputation)StrataFrame User (299 reputation)StrataFrame User (299 reputation)StrataFrame User (299 reputation)StrataFrame User (299 reputation)StrataFrame User (299 reputation)StrataFrame User (299 reputation)StrataFrame User (299 reputation)
Thanks so much guys, I went down that road yesterday and all is well!
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Mi Michael, Ben,

You are welcome.

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...