How to: Automating DDT updates for customers

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi guys,

I know that we can use DDT packages with the DatabaseMigrator Class, but I have the following concerns:

How to control versioning of the package to be installed at the customer's database? in other words, how my update process will know that a particular database needs to be updated?

Also how to check from my application that the database is properly updated to the required version?

I am guessing that I would need some sort of version table in my database to hold the database version and check on that field value to update the database or refused my application to run if the database is not withing the required version. Does this make sense? how are other managing this stuff?

Thanks!

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Well, there are a number of routes you could take here.  As you know, all development environments are different.  Some people have a commercial redistributable product, others are in house, etc.  So depending upon your needs the setup would change.

From what I can tell, you are manualy deploying things to your customer site on a daily basis.  So I would recommend a couple of things.

1. Team FS Publish Build is good, but Automated Build Studio is better....ironic for me to say this as I am  HUGE TFS fan!!!  We use Automated Build Studio for our builds which allows us to pull everything down from source, rebuild, copy files, build installs, deploy databases...pretty much anything you need to do.
  2. If you are using the DDT to deploy your databases, then I would create a deployment program that deploys the package.  Using the database installer sample you can get the idea on this.  but you can create a program like this then add it into the build process as part of the deployment.

Just a couple ideas, hope it helps. Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Threaded View
Threaded View
Edhy Rijo - 15 Years Ago
Aaron Young - 15 Years Ago
Edhy Rijo - 15 Years Ago
Trent L. Taylor - 15 Years Ago
                     Thanks Trent, will take that into consideration.
Edhy Rijo - 15 Years Ago
Ulrik Mueller - 15 Years Ago
                         Well, there are a number of routes you could take here. As you know,...
Trent L. Taylor - 15 Years Ago