Working with Nulls

Author
Ger Cannoll
Advanced StrataFrame User (582 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (582 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (582 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (582 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (582 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (582 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (582 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (582 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (582 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I dont particulalrly like working with nulls. I know there is an option in SF for repacing null values with a different value. I am considering goint back a step to the database set up. I notice there is a property on each filed called 'Default Vlaue or Binding' . I have played around with this and noticed that if i insert ' ' (Space within single quotes) for chrarcter and date fields, or 0 (Zero) fro numeric fields, it seems to default to a Non Null when I add a record (In SSMS at any rate) i.e. Spaces for character fields and Zero for numeric fields, which is just what I want (Similar to VFP if you add a record)

I would welcome any suggestions, if this is a good idea or if there are any 'Gotchas' down the line.

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Glad that helped.

Be sure to take a look at the code in the post referenced. In it, Peter is setting the default values in the BO from the defaults set in the database. That way you only have to maintain the defaults in one place. I'm not sure if it would work in you situation, but be sure to check it out.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...