How to use Enterprise Server with random users?

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi,

I have an application that sells to many customers and for one of them I may probably need to use the Enterprise Server.  Since I have not test anything about the ES yet, is it possible to configure the application to use ES for some customers an not for the rest?

I currently use the SF Connection Manager, is the ES taken into consideration in the Connection Manager, so when installing the application in different workstations I could tell some of them to use the ES while the others will have a direct connection to the database via the Connection Manager?

Thanks!

Edhy Rijo

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
I have a file that I put on a users hard drive, if the application finds it, it uses ES, if not a local connection. Connection manager does not know about ES.

I just put the logic to decide which connection type to use in AppMain.

Keith Chisarik
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)
Hi Keith,

Where do you save the ES connection information (it is not hard coded right?).

The whole idea it to make the application flexible enough to connect to ES or just regular connection without the need to rebuild the application, but I guess the ES connection information should be provided and must not be hard-coded, right?

Edhy Rijo

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
ES connection info is encrypted in the file, all you need is the ES's URL, and the DataSourceKey if you didnt change the default key and vector (I don't). If the file exists the contents are read to create the ES connection, if the file doesnt exists a Connection Manager managed connection is used. Makes is easy to develop and deploy as I just have that logic wrapped in a #DEBUG so I never have to change my source code. 

Works for me Smile

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
Also, dont forget that ES licensing is per user, per year.

Keith Chisarik
Edhy Rijo
E
Thanks Keith, it makes sense.  I will do some testing with this logic.

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...