Can't get ListBox to work in designtime

Author
Wil Cantrell
StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
In my web project, I can set the PopulationDataSource on a ListView control and have no problems. But using the same properties for a ListBox control, design view has an error box wher the list box should be with the following error:

ListBox - ListBox1

There was an error rendering the control.

'GroupBO|GetGroups;|Description,|{0}|GroupCode' could not be set on property 'PopulationDataSourceSettings'

PopulationType is set to BusinessObject and BusinessObjectName is set to the web form's instance of the GroupBO, set correctlyi in ApplicationBasePage.cs.

Suggestions? I'm sure it's a beginner's mistake. This is my first attempt at a web app with the framework since last month.

StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Doesn't sound like a beginners mistake... it sounds more like a TypeConverter or TypeEditor issue... I'll check it and let you know.
Wil Cantrell
Wil Cantrell
StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)
Thanks for looking into this. I am totally stuck.

StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
OK, Will, looks like the TypeConverter is working properly.  Is this on a web server, or on your development machine?  If it's on a web server, then you'll need to deploy the MicroFour StrataFrame Extensibility.dll assembly along with the other SF DLLs to the website in either the \bin folder of the web site or the GAC on the web server.  The TypeConverter that parses the markup string back into a WebListPopulationSettings object is stored within that assembly.
Justin Buist
Justin Buist
StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)
I saw an identical error when trying to drop a SFWeb:RadioButtonList onto a page at design time. I couldn't for figure it out for the life of me.

When I pulled open the source I saw the pipe delimited list and thought, "That's a silly way of doing that!" thinking that it'd be better to do it in markup that a pipe delimited list.

Which is about the time that I saw that the DropDownList control does exactly that. So, I removed the attribute/pipe-delimited code from the RadioButtonList and reformatted the data so that it was in markup:

DisplayFieldNamesAlternate="name|"

FormatString="{0}"

MethodToExecute="FillAll;"

ValueMember="EntityTypeiD" />

The editor informs me that this isn't a valid tag to have there, but it actually renders properly at runtime.

Is that a valid workaround to the problem right now, or should I be doing something else?

StrataFrame Team
S
Nope, the PopulationDataSourceSettings is an inner property, so you can set the properties as an XML node within the list itself.  The way you have it is probably the best way to do it.
Justin Buist
Justin Buist
StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)
Why would the property editor create source that used the pipe-delimited format then?

And why does my text editor think that the element is not allowed there? Is there any way to fix this?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...