StrataFrame Forum

Who's going to Amarillo in July ?

http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic16614.aspx

By Charles R Hankey - 5/27/2008

Starting to get very psyched up for the training class in July and just wondered who all is going?  (Ivan needs to kow how much beer to bring) 

Would just be curious about other attendees, level of experience, kind of work you do, what you will be particularly looking for in the class, that kind of stuff. 

I have a feeling I'm going to find out there is a whole lot more to the framework and what it can do than I have so far imagined (and I have a pretty good imagination Smile )

Anyway, I'm Charles Hankey.  I am an independant business consultant in Cleveland, OH.  An old guy who had a number of other careers in the US and abroad before I started designing software applications 25 years ago.  I do most of my work right now in VFP using the Visual FoXExpress framework with a SQL Server back end and besides my own client work I teach VFE for F1 Technologies and mentor VFE developers on their projects.

I am a real beginner in .NET but convinced I've made a good choice in using Strataframe to both flatten the learning curve and get me productive quickly.

I have a major client right now with whom I am spec'ing out a very big project - in Strataframe and SQL Server - so I'm very motivated Smile

Would always be glad to hear from other here or at charleshankey@f1tech.com

See you in Texas!

By Keith Chisarik - 5/27/2008

I'll be there.

I am mostly looking to advance my .NET and SF knowledge, I was a real .NET noob the last course 2 years ago and as such grasped mostly just the concepts, not the juicy core Smile

I am looking to absorb the knowledge Trent and Ben ooze, make sure I am doing things "the right way", learn some new tricks and get free beer.

Progamming is my #1 love but my job responsibilites often take me away from that for long stretches so I am using this course to learn "what it is I dont know, that I dont know" and make sure our internal and customer projects are the best they can be.

I have been a progammer for about 9 years now, VFP and Access/Java before .NET. I'm 35 and before my IT career I was a chef.

See you there!

By Ivan George Borges - 5/27/2008

I'm Ivan, the beer deliverer. The most important person to be there. Tongue

Oh, yeah... FP26, VFP, .NET and a completely confused brain changing IDEs many times a day.

Hobbies? Attending SF classes.

By Edhy Rijo - 5/27/2008

Hi,

Sure I'll be there Smile  I have been working with VFP for many years and over 10+ years using the Visual ProMatrix framework.  I am a true believer of frameworks. 

I am also new to .NET & SF, but so far things are starting to make sense and my current project is going fine. 

There is a lot to learn, so this will be fun. 

By Trent L. Taylor - 5/27/2008

I am trying to rework my schedule so I can attend also w00t

Tongue Just kidding (not on the being ther but rather that I would actually NOT be there) ...I am already working on the new training materials that I intend to cover.  Anyway, I would never miss an event where Ivan would be buying the beer BigGrin

By Greg McGuffey - 5/27/2008

Don't forget to include a Table of Contents! BigGrin
By Howard Bennett - 5/27/2008

Charles,

I'll be there as well...  I've read many of your posts on the UT.  It will be nice to meet you in person.

This is my second time.  These guys are tremendous in the way the run this week.  There's a lot of information and you will leave with a much better understanding of how to use the framework and some of the things you can do with it.

I'm a beginner in all this as well and am hoping to see some of the new things and how they all work together.  I've used VFP for several years now and work as the sole programmer for a medical case management company.

See you in July!

HB

By Ger Cannoll - 5/28/2008

Hi Charles et al.

Plan to be there also.My name is Gerard O Carroll from Dublin, Ireland. Backround Cobol  and Punched Cards (way back when) and VFP for the last 15 years or so. Looking forward to trip to USA and plan on going over on Wed before the course ,Training it down from Chicago to Dallas. Looking forward to the trip , sightseeing and the course. See you all there

By Ivan George Borges - 5/28/2008

Hey Gerard.

Backround Cobol  and Punched Cards

I got to do Fortran and puched cards... fun, wasn't it? Hehe

By Ger Cannoll - 5/30/2008

Ah yes... I did a a bit of Fortran in college also..and also a language called ALGOL  cannot remember exactly what that was... then moved decidedly downhill to an assembly language on Burroughs machines called SL3 and SL5......We have come a long way , hav'nt we ??
By Ivan George Borges - 5/30/2008

You tell me!!!

I saw all those too. Crazy

By Edhy Rijo - 6/14/2008

I am wondering, what hotel are you guys going to?

I am thinking about #11 Residence Inn by Marriott (Recommended) or #10 Quality Inn & Suites (This one is not recommended in the list).

By Charles R Hankey - 6/15/2008

I'm booked at the Hampton Inn (AAA discount) across I-40 from Microfour (looks like an easy walk ... dodging trucks) 

I'm coming in about 8 pm Sunday.  Since the hotel is so close to the class and I don't imagine Amarillo nightlife is going to be that tempting (plus I know how intense the classes can get) I don't think I'm going to rent a car, probably makes more sense just to get a cab from the airpost (going out Saturday morning)  Anybody with similar arrival and departures who wants to split a cab let me know.

Oh, and I think when I booked about two or three weeks ago the Marriots were all full.
By Edhy Rijo - 6/15/2008

Charles R Hankey (06/15/2008)
I'm booked at the Hampton Inn (AAA discount) across I-40 from Microfour (looks like an easy walk ... dodging trucks) 

I'm coming in about 8 pm Sunday.  Since the hotel is so close to the class and I don't imagine Amarillo nightlife is going to be that tempting (plus I know how intense the classes can get) I don't think I'm going to rent a car, probably makes more sense just to get a cab from the airpost (going out Saturday morning)  Anybody with similar arrival and departures who wants to split a cab let me know.

Hi Charles,

I have reservations for the Hampton and Quality Inn, my partner Doron Farber will be at the Quality Inn, price is a bit cheeper there. 

I have two concerns:

1. Which one of this two hotel is closer to MicroFour?
  2. Why Quality Inn & Suites was not recommended my MicroFour based on the class information map?  This one I had a little chat with Trent, and the only thing he can remember is maybe poor Internet connection.

Overall price range would be around $25.00 which I would not mind if Hampton Inn is closer to the class so we can walk in.

Also they both have shuttle service to/from the airport.  I am arriving Sunday morning around 11:30.

Here's my rate at the Hampton

Rate Type:
      AAA RATE-ID REQUIRED
Rate per night:98.10 USD
Total for Stay per Room:
     Rate588.60 USD 
     Taxes88.29 USD 
     Total676.89 USD 

Total for Stay:676.89 USD 
Includes estimated taxes and service charges.

Google maps make it look like it is just a block up to the underpass of the freeway and then a block down to Microfour (they are directly across the freeway from each other)  Seems a reasonable walk, even for an old guy like me Smile

Glad to hear about the shuttle.  In that case, I think I'll see if I can do it without a car.  Plan to be in full geek mode and just concentracting on soaking up all the SF / .NET I can.  Big project coming up right after class and I am appropriately terrified/motivated w00t

By Trent L. Taylor - 6/16/2008

Charles, you are correct in that it is just across the highway from our location and would be an easy walk...you will just want to try and dodge the cars buzzing by in both directions Smile  In all seriousness though, it isn't a far walk...even if you are being safe BigGrin
By Doron Farber - 6/16/2008

Hi All,

I also will be joining the Gang In Amarillo for the July training. I worked with Visual ProMatrix frame work and for the FoxPro for 2.6 or below worked with the Fox Express, and was one of the first people that got involve with that.Smile

Lately I moved to the .Net and I wished I moved a bit earlier.

Regards,

Doron
http://www.dfarber.com

Hi Trent,

I assume each one of us will have a connection to the internet while we do the training right?Hehe RJ45 or wirelless conncetion works great for us.BigGrin

Regards,

Doron
http://www.dfarber.com

By Trent L. Taylor - 6/16/2008

You will have a wireless connection and we have a limited number of RJ45 connections.  Wireless will be the preferred method.

that sounds just great.

Regards,

Doron

By Keith Chisarik - 6/30/2008

Ill be leaving right from your offices Friday at the end of class to the airport, can I bring my luggage (one bag) Friday AM with me and stick it in a coat closet somewhere?
By Trent L. Taylor - 7/1/2008

You bet.  That won't be a problem at all.
By Keith Chisarik - 7/7/2008

What version should we have installed on our laptops for class. Production 1.6.5 or 1.6.6 (beta) ?
By Edhy Rijo - 7/7/2008

Hi Keith,

The 1.6.6 beta version is pretty stable, in fact it does not look like a beta due to its stability.  I have participated in other beta programs in which you can not rely on it for production and that is not the case of SF betas.

By Aaron Young - 7/7/2008

Hi Keith,

I would go with the beta without hesitation. In fact I don't even think of it as a beta - just a new update. SF is VERY stable and so far the only problems in my software are my own Smile

I think the way these guys work is they have a target list of new functionality for the next official release and they release periodic betas with some new features as they are done. There are some nice new features in the beta so don't hold back Smile

Aaron

By Trent L. Taylor - 7/7/2008

Hey Keith,

Yeah, go ahead and load the 1.6.6 as we will be covering many features within the beta during the class so you will want to have that build loaded.

Thanks for the comments guys! 

By Doron Farber - 7/7/2008

Hi Trent,

How much web development will you cover in the training? (5 days could be enoughBigGrin)

Regards,

Doron

By Trent L. Taylor - 7/7/2008

We'll spend the better part of a day to web specific stuff.  You will learn that there is really not that much difference between the two environments once we cover the basics of the web stuff.  The same BOs, DAL, and .NET techniques and logic can be applied to both environments for the most part.  But technically, the entire class is geared towards creating an application and the processes therein...and there is a ton of cross coverage here.
By Randy Jean - 7/11/2008

Charles R Hankey (06/15/2008)

I'm coming in about 8 pm Sunday. Since the hotel is so close to the class and I don't imagine Amarillo nightlife is going to be that tempting (plus I know how intense the classes can get) I don't think I'm going to rent a car, probably makes more sense just to get a cab from the airpost (going out Saturday morning) Anybody with similar arrival and departures who wants to split a cab let me know.

Charles, myself and Jared Ewald from Orion will be arriving around 9 or 10 pm at the Quality Inn. I decided to go ahead and get a car so if you want you can go party with us at night w00t

By Marcia G Akins - 7/29/2010

Charles R Hankey (05/27/2008)
Starting to get very psyched up for the training class in July and just wondered who all is going?  (Ivan needs to kow how much beer to bring) 

Hi Charles.

I am so upset that I did not know about this class. I definitely would have attended. If there is another one in the future, would you mind e-mailing me about it so that I can attend?

Thanks!

Marcia

By Keith Chisarik - 7/29/2010

This was last year right? Or the year before... was there a July 2010 training?

I thought the next one was to be remote/video/webEx training?

By Ivan George Borges - 7/29/2010

Nope, there hasn't been a trainning this July.