StrataFrame Forum

My First Effort

http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic29822.aspx

By Ian Hammond - 4/1/2011

I have just purchased DDT and I have a few questions:

I have 3 databases I wish to deploy.

a) A custom database, CUSTOM with a single table called CUSTOM with no data

b) A database comprising initial data of 10000+ records. This database and CUSTOM have the same table structure. The CUSTOM     database is to be used by customers to store their own data.

c) A configurarion database comprising a number of tables. The tables were originally defined in the database StratFrame.

My questions:

1) My initial question was going to be that now I have a .pkg file what do I do with it. I have found the C# demo progarm and used this to test my .pkg file. Are there other methods for running the .pkg file other than DBEngine.Deployment.MDDeployMain?

2) I have set up a deployment data package for database b) but only 3935 records have been installed.

3) I am presuming that for the initial data for the config, I need to setup a deployment data package that transfers from a table in StrataFrame to a table of same structure in Config.

4) I have to setup a deployment data package for each table I want initial data.

I know these questions seem trivial, but I'm trying to make sure that I have understood the documentation.

Many thanks for any assistance.
By Aaron Young - 4/1/2011

Here goes:-

1) My initial question was going to be that now I have a .pkg file what do I do with it. I have found the C# demo progarm and used this to test my .pkg file. Are there other methods for running the .pkg file other than DBEngine.Deployment.MDDeployMain?

I only use MDDeployMain and not sure I would want anything else - such as an automatic upgrade. I can only see two reasons for running a .pkg file which are for a new database or to upgrade an existing database. In both cases, this should be a deliberate controlled event with a user involved and I wouldn't want it to be an automatic process. For this reason I don't need more than the deployment wizard.

2) I have set up a deployment data package for database b) but only 3935 records have been installed.

If this is less records than you expected, I would check if you have any data filters inside the package.

3) I am presuming that for the initial data for the config, I need to setup a deployment data package that transfers from a table in StrataFrame to a table of same structure in Config.

Your table doesn't have to be within StrataFrame - it could be a copy of your own database loaded with data. I maintain a standalone copy of our database that contains the records from which the package is created.

4) I have to setup a deployment data package for each table I want initial data.

Mostly yes but a single package can deploy data for child tables too.

Hope this helps.
By Ian Hammond - 4/1/2011

Hi Aaron,

Many thanks for that, I will take it it onboard.

Regards