My First Effort

Author
Ian Hammond
StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have just purchased DDT and I have a few questions:

I have 3 databases I wish to deploy.

a) A custom database, CUSTOM with a single table called CUSTOM with no data

b) A database comprising initial data of 10000+ records. This database and CUSTOM have the same table structure. The CUSTOM     database is to be used by customers to store their own data.

c) A configurarion database comprising a number of tables. The tables were originally defined in the database StratFrame.

My questions:

1) My initial question was going to be that now I have a .pkg file what do I do with it. I have found the C# demo progarm and used this to test my .pkg file. Are there other methods for running the .pkg file other than DBEngine.Deployment.MDDeployMain?

2) I have set up a deployment data package for database b) but only 3935 records have been installed.

3) I am presuming that for the initial data for the config, I need to setup a deployment data package that transfers from a table in StrataFrame to a table of same structure in Config.

4) I have to setup a deployment data package for each table I want initial data.

I know these questions seem trivial, but I'm trying to make sure that I have understood the documentation.

Many thanks for any assistance.
Aaron Young
Aaron Young
StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Here goes:-

1) My initial question was going to be that now I have a .pkg file what do I do with it. I have found the C# demo progarm and used this to test my .pkg file. Are there other methods for running the .pkg file other than DBEngine.Deployment.MDDeployMain?

I only use MDDeployMain and not sure I would want anything else - such as an automatic upgrade. I can only see two reasons for running a .pkg file which are for a new database or to upgrade an existing database. In both cases, this should be a deliberate controlled event with a user involved and I wouldn't want it to be an automatic process. For this reason I don't need more than the deployment wizard.

2) I have set up a deployment data package for database b) but only 3935 records have been installed.

If this is less records than you expected, I would check if you have any data filters inside the package.

3) I am presuming that for the initial data for the config, I need to setup a deployment data package that transfers from a table in StrataFrame to a table of same structure in Config.

Your table doesn't have to be within StrataFrame - it could be a copy of your own database loaded with data. I maintain a standalone copy of our database that contains the records from which the package is created.

4) I have to setup a deployment data package for each table I want initial data.

Mostly yes but a single package can deploy data for child tables too.

Hope this helps.
Ian Hammond
Ian Hammond
StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (57 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Aaron,

Many thanks for that, I will take it it onboard.

Regards
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...