StrataFrame Forum

DDT Preserve/Update Field Order?

http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic32464.aspx

By William Fields - 2/25/2014

Hello,

After creating a new table with the DDT, I realized that the field order is not as expected, which is causing problems downstream in an application.

I went into the DDT and reordered the fields, but that doesn't seem to do anything when I deploy to the server. Also, if I create a new database (i.e. deploy to server), the field order is just as it was when the original table was added to the database.

UPDATE: I must have been seeing things regarding creating a new database, the field order is correct. However, if I deploy the updated field order to an existing database, the field order does not change.

Can anyone confirm?

Bill
By Edhy Rijo - 2/25/2014

Hi Bill,

William Fields (2/25/2014)
Hello,
After creating a new table with the DDT, I realized that the field order is not as expected, which is causing problems downstream in an application.
Can anyone confirm?

Yes, that is the behavior of the current DDT version.  I believe it is a limitation of MS-SQL because I also use xCase for data modeling in some projects and they have an option to update a table by using the "Copy" command which will basically do the following:
  1. Create a new table with a temporary name
  2. Copy data from original table
  3. Delete original table
  4. Rename temporary table with original table name
If you need your field names in the order you are designing them, then you may have to manually do the above to get them updated.  I know it is a huge inconvenience, but hopefully new version of DDT for SF2.0 would take care of this issue.