StrataFrame Forum

Can't Run ES Installer

http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic32965.aspx

By Larry Caylor - 6/14/2015

When I run the ES installer program on Windows Server 2012 R2, the initial installer windows displays then the program immediately closes. There are no errors in the Windows Logs and I can't find any other log files. I've tried running the program while logged in as a domain administrator and well as a local administrator. I've tried running the program as administrator and selecting compatibility mode. In all cases, it immediately closes. Any ideas?
By Larry Caylor - 6/15/2015

ping
By StrataFrame Team - 6/15/2015

Sorry, Larry, I'm working on this one.

No problem. Just wanted to make sure it didn't get lost in the weekend.

-Larry
By Edhy Rijo - 6/15/2015

Hi Larry,

This post has nothing with your request.

I have tried to communicate with you and sent you 2 Private Messages via the forum but I believe you are not getting them.

Could you please email me your email or phone number to erijo@progytech.com.

Thanks!!!
By StrataFrame Team - 6/15/2015

Try this setup, Larry.  We moved build servers and I have a bunch of pathing and stuff to link back up.  This one seems to install fine on our test Server 2012 here in the office.

Hi Ben,

The file you sent launches correctly so it looks like I'm good t go.  I have to schedule some downtime before I can actually run the install since I'm going to move my old server's name to the new box.

-Larry
By Larry Caylor - 6/16/2015

Hi Ben,

The new file launches but the program crashes right after it starts to build the web site. I'd attach some screen shots but the forum says I've used up my upload allocation and won't let me upload anything. I selected the option to create a new web site. When I clicked on Next on the" Ready to Start Installation" screen the program immediately displays "Smart-Client Enterprise Server has stopped working" message. The following is what is logged in the Windows event log. I ran the installer as run as administrator and I was logged on as a local administrator.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          6/16/2015 8:07:52 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      HSDSFES.hra.co.santa-cruz.ca.us
Description:
Faulting application name: EnterpriseServer.exe, version: 1.6.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e80b491
Faulting module name: ahadmin_wrapper.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d4588d7
Exception code: 0xc0000417
Fault offset: 0x00010145
Faulting process id: 0xa88
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0a8aab75f32cd
Faulting application path: C:\Users\HRA014~1\AppData\Local\Temp\mia9D97.tmp\EnterpriseServer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\HRA014~1\AppData\Local\Temp\mia1\ahadmin_wrapper.dll
Report Id: 0a5ea976-149e-11e5-80bb-fc15b41d5808
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-06-17T03:07:52.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1005</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>HSDSFES.hra.co.santa-cruz.ca.us</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>EnterpriseServer.exe</Data>
    <Data>1.6.0.0</Data>
    <Data>4e80b491</Data>
    <Data>ahadmin_wrapper.dll</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>4d4588d7</Data>
    <Data>c0000417</Data>
    <Data>00010145</Data>
    <Data>a88</Data>
    <Data>01d0a8aab75f32cd</Data>
    <Data>C:\Users\HRA014~1\AppData\Local\Temp\mia9D97.tmp\EnterpriseServer.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Users\HRA014~1\AppData\Local\Temp\mia1\ahadmin_wrapper.dll</Data>
    <Data>0a5ea976-149e-11e5-80bb-fc15b41d5808</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
By Edhy Rijo - 6/16/2015

Hi Larry, Ben,

This is an InstallAware error, you may need to update/patch your InstallAware installation program to fix it.

Take a look at this post: IA crashes after creating an IIS application on Windows

Hope this help.
By Ivan George Borges - 6/16/2015

Hi Larry.

I've been running into this problem for a while. What I do is to use an old install file, in my case I use the one for version 1.7.3.5, which works, then I unzip the EnterpriseServerSiteContents.zip file from the latest version (probably 1.7.7.1 currently) and replace the files on the installed folder.

Not saying you should be happy with this workaround, but if you are in a hurry you could try this. Surely Ben will have it fixed soon, so you probably would be fine waiting for his last version.

Cheers.

Ivan
By StrataFrame Team - 6/17/2015

You are spot-on Edhy, it looks like I will need to get a newer version of InstallAware running in order to build a working install.  

Ironically, we recently purchased a newer version of InstallAware and have not been able to get it installed.  It looks like getting is working is now a more pressing issue.  I will get working on that.

In the meantime, Larry, as Ivan said, you can manually create the ES site as a workaround.  All the install does is create a new IIS site or virtual directory and dump the files into it.  If you need any direction on that, I can certainly help.
By Edhy Rijo - 6/17/2015

Hi Ben,

Ben Chase (6/17/2015)
Ironically, we recently purchased a newer version of InstallAware and have not been able to get it installed.  It looks like getting is working is now a more pressing issue.  I will get working on that.

I am using the latest version of IA on my dev computer and so far I did not have any issue upgrading from previous versions and my projects were 2-3 versions behind this latest version.  I am on Windows 8.1 Pro 64bits and I installed it on drive C:

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.
By StrataFrame Team - 6/17/2015

We don't actually have the latest and greatest, we have the previous version, which should work fine for Server 2012.  The problem is, when we install it on our new build server, it gives us some sort of plug-in error when you try to launch it.  We contacted InstallAware's support, and they're telling us that the error is not possible because it's coming from features that weren't introduced in our version and that the only way we're getting the error is that we have a Frankenstein build of old and new stuff that is pirated and unlicensed, so they won't help us.  So, we're going back and forth with their support right now.
By Edhy Rijo - 6/17/2015

Hi Ben,

Wow, that is becoming a nightmare w00t Their product have changed a lot in the last 2 versions and due that new OS are coming next month it would probably be good to get the latest version from them.
In my case I don't have a build server, may have one now for my latest project, but have you tried building the new package from another workstation instead of the build server?
By Larry Caylor - 6/17/2015

Hi Ivan,

I'd be willing to try that since I haven't had any luck so far but I don't have a copy of the 1.7.3.5 setup program. I've been doing manual updates for so long I stopped downloading the full setup program. If someone from SF could post a link to the 1.7.3.5 ES installer I can give it a try.

-Larry
By Larry Caylor - 6/17/2015

OK I finally got a working server built manually using the ES development license. I hate Microsoft. Even when you're logged in as an administrator there still seems to be a multitude of permission issues that get in the way. Once I got that sorted out the rest was easy. To turn this server into the production server I'm assuming all I need to do is change the name, IP address, update the server name in web.config and drop the production license file in the bin directory.

On another note we use to use Installaware but recently switched to Advanced Installer. In addition to building installers for in-house apps, we re-package a lot of commercial products for use with Microsoft System Center. We found that Installaware didn't un-install things cleanly when used with Systems Center. Also I feel the recent versions of installaware are suffering from feature bloat.

-Larry
By StrataFrame Team - 6/18/2015

Larry, I'm glad you got it up and running.  If you had any problems, I would probably have TeamViewer'ed in and set it up for you to get you running.  After yesterday, it looks like we will be switching from InstallAware, too.  We've been using them since shortly after they split from InstallShield, but after our less than cordial communications yesterday, it seems pretty apparent that they don't want us as a customer.

As for getting your server up and running in production, you won't have to change your IP Address if you don't want.  You can change your DNS to point the ES hostname to the new server and activate the license file on the new MAC address.  
By Ivan George Borges - 6/18/2015

Hi Larry.

Glad you got it working.
Nevertheless, I still sent you a PM with a link to download the old version if you need.

Best.

Ivan