StrataFrame Forum

How to reactivate license (Windows 10)

http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic33013.aspx

By Michel Levy - 8/11/2015

Hi,

All was running fine on my Surface after Windows10 upgrade, but it seems that the first update (the 1st one on W10), I've no longer any StrataFrame license activated. Activation through the web is blocked by some paranoïd Microsoft rule, trying to use GACUTIL with the last license file I received has no effect, and it's now forbidden to drag a file directly in the windows\assembly folder.

Ben, Trent, help please !!!!!!Crying
By StrataFrame Team - 8/11/2015

Is the license file still out there in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MicroFour\Strataframe\License folder?

Yes, it is still in the folder (but I'm not sure it is the good one, it is a copy from some backup folder)

Let's replace the license file just in case.  Will the activation server let you send a manual activation request?  If not, send me your computer name and MAC address and I'll do it from here.

manual activation request is not allowed.. i send you my computer name and MAC address by PM

I manually activated it, and it sent it to the @yahoo.fr email we have on file.  Copy the file out to that folder mentioned in the first post and let me know how it works.

Ben,

would you please send the zip file by private message here, please? another security rule coming from ???? does not allow the dll in an attachment.
By Edhy Rijo - 8/13/2015

Hi Michael, Ben,

Are you talking here about issues StrataFrame license activation on Windows 10? Not Enterprise License right?

I am about to upgrade my development computer to Windows 10, but would like to know if there will be an issue with SF activation before I do that since I am working with SF daily and would have to postpone the Windows 10 upgrade until the license activation issue have been identified and corrected.

Please any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
By StrataFrame Team - 8/13/2015

I've just installed Windows 10 on a new development machine here, so I will let you know as the day progresses, Edhy.
By Edhy Rijo - 8/13/2015

Hi Ben,

Thanks a lot, greatly appreciated.
By Michel Levy - 8/13/2015

Hi Edhy,

yes, I had issues with SF activation licenses. On my Surface 64, all network hardware is virtualized, and every time I reboot or reconnect, the MAC address of the main network adapter (wifi) is renewed. And of course, it's impossible to modify it (or I've not found how to).

Fortunately, I use HyperV on that machine (for hosting virtual machines for tests), and the virtual network adapter created for HyperV has a persistent MAC address.
Figure that! physical adapter has not persistent mac address, but virtual has BigGrin. Issue solved by using this network "hardware"

I don't know if there issue the same problem occurs with a wired network (RJ45) adapter, but I would advise to transfer your SF ID on some external adapter.
By Edhy Rijo - 8/13/2015

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the explanation, virtual MAC, it makes sense SF license could get confused and deactivated.

For now I will not use SF on a virtual environment, just on my main computer, even though I use some VM for testing only.

I'll wait for Ben's test to go ahead and update, my PC, it would be great if I can do it today, but I can wait couple of days if needed.

Howdy Michel,

I just learned today that when you have Hyper-V installed on the machine, Microsoft puts a "hypervisor" on the machine that attaches to all of the physical hardware and manages the I/O between all of the pieces.  So, the Hyper-V adapter is actually the MAC address of your adapter.  All of the adapters used by the operating systems you install are all virtual.

Kinda backwards, but that's the way it works.

Ben

Well, Edhy, I had a different experience than Michel did.  For me, Windows 10 has acted exactly like Window 8 did.  I don't have Hyper-V installed, so I'm not running into any issues there.  I had to cancel the activation client when I installed StrataFrame and re-launch it with "Run as Administrator" from the Start menu after the install was complete.  When I did that, I didn't have any problems downloading and installing the license file.  The DDT and BOMapper are all working, so my license is good to go.  

And now onto finishing the updates to the AddIn for 2015.  
By Edhy Rijo - 8/13/2015

Hi Ben,

That is a great news.  I will start upgrading my computer in a few, since I will not be re-installing SF until the update for VS2015 is available I will predict that it will work as it is now on Win8.1.

I will post any issues in this thread if something shows up.

Thanks again!!!
By Andrew Harper - 8/13/2015

Thanks for the update Ben - looking forward to the VS2015 addin,

Best regards, Andy
By Edhy Rijo - 8/14/2015

Hi Ben,

I finally upgraded to Windows 10, it took over 4 hours but everything looks fine except that when opening VS 2014 I am getting the following exception:

Exception
  An error occurred while configuring the StrataFrame design-time data sources.
FileNotFoundException
  Could not load file or assembly 'MicroFour StrataFrame Base, Version=1.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=99fe9917f71608a7' or one of its dependencies.
  The system cannot find the file specified.

Source     :

Stack Trace:

at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Data.ConnectionManager.SetConnections()
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.AddIns.AddInManager.()

Now, just to be clear, I have not re-installed SF, just upgraded from Win8.1Pro to Windows 10 Pro.  Re-installing SF could fix the loading of the assembly issue, I will try that.
By Michel Levy - 8/14/2015

Edhy,

I had the same issue, and solved it by GACUTIL all the SF assemblies (upgrade seems to empty the assembly cache, except for the MS core assemblies)
By Edhy Rijo - 8/15/2015

Hi Michel,

Thanks for the advice, it worked!!!

For the sake of others, here is the command I used from a batch file executed from an elevated Command Prompt session:

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame AddIns.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Inherited UI.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Extensibility.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Infragistics Wrapper.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Security.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame UI Expanded.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame DBEngine.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame UI.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Business.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Base.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Lzma.dll" /f
By Edhy Rijo - 8/15/2015

Also FYI, my SQL Server 2014 service was stopped after the upgrade, a simple repair of this installation fixed the issues.

So far Windows 10 upgrade has been pretty smooth, I have done several computers, but mine which is the most powerful of all took 4+ hours to complete while other took an average of 1.5 hours.  Obviously mine have more tools and programs than an average computer and that will affect an upgrade.

I use VIPRE antivirus, and the recommendation is to remove any antivirus and then re-install.  I also notice Office 2013 did some quick automatic re-installation the first time I opened. 

So don't panic, these things are expected.
By Buffie - 8/31/2015

Edhy you moved to Win 10, SF 1.7 and VS2013?
I know you posted something like a bat file. Can you explain to me what it really does and why you needed to do it?
TIA
By Edhy Rijo - 8/31/2015

Hi Terry,

I had Win7 and VS2013, I simply upgraded the OS to Win10 Pro.  I am waiting for SF addins to upgrade to VS2015.

The batch file is basically to re-register SF assemblies in the GAC, for some reason, the assemblies needed to be re-registered, you can accomplish same thing by re-installing SF.
By Buffie - 8/31/2015

Ok thanks a bunch.

I am about ready to put Win 10 on.
By Edhy Rijo - 8/31/2015

Very important!!!!
As I mentioned before, I have done several Windows 10 upgrades and all of them went pretty good and fast, less than 1 hour after downloading image, but in my computer it took several hours to complete the upgrade, so be sure you will not be using your computer for a while until upgrade is done.
By Buffie - 8/31/2015

Alright
By Ross L Rooker, Sr.(1) - 12/7/2015

I just upgraded from 8.1 to win 10. Running this script helped but I am getting a licensing error: Could not load the file or assembly 'Microfour License Base, Version=1.7.0.0, Custure=neutral, Public Key=99fe9917f71608a7' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Do I need to deactivate my license and then tur around and reactivate the license?
By StrataFrame Team - 12/7/2015

Hrm, the MicroFour License Base assembly is not actually the license, but the file that dynamically loads the license and returns the keys to the components that need the license.  The license file is "MicroFour License.dll".  When are you getting this error?  When you launch the DDT, Messaging, RBS Editor, etc?  Or going into the BOMapper?  Or when you try to run the Activation Client.  My guess is that there is a path wrong or something.  
By Edhy Rijo - 12/7/2015

Hi Russ,
I noticed from your post that you are using SF version 1.7.0.0 and the current version is 1.7.7.1, make sure you have the current assemblies.  I think you should re-run the SF setup so all assemblies will be re-registered.