StrataFrame Forum

VS 2015 and SF 1.7 Issue

http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic33245.aspx

By Buffie - 1/8/2016

I decided it was time to put VS 2015 on my Developer's Machine. So, following what Edhy outlined in a previous topic I did the following:
1. Installed VS2015
2. Installed SF 1.7
3. Installed the SF VSIX and copied the 2 files AddIns and Extensibility into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame"
4. Then I used gacutil.exe to uninstall the 2 files using Developer Command Prompt in Admin Mode (which it said was successful)
5. Then I used gacuitl.exe to install the 2 files using Developer Command Prompt in Admin Mode (which it said was successful)

Now when I run VS 2015 the SF tools show up in the toolbox but when I try to create a new form the SF Templates are not there?

I looked in the Menu Item "Extensions and Updates" and Strataframe does not show up in the center pane?

Lost not sure what to do because it worked on my laptop when I did it a month ago.
One thing I do have on this machine I have VS 2013 already installed which did not have on my laptop.

TIA.
By Buffie - 1/9/2016

I have made some progress. Now the StataFrame Extension shows up under the Menu Item "Extensions and Updates" but if I try to create a new form lets say the Template for a Strataframe  Form does not appear???
Any help would be appreciated.
TIA.
By Buffie - 1/21/2016

Now I have a real issue. I still don't have the above issue solved so I have been using my VS2013 and the lastest version of SF to continue my project.

Remember, I have VS2013 and VS2015 installed on my development machine. This morning I tried to create a SF Custom Business Binding Source and I got the attached error? I guess it really is not an error but I can not do what I need to do...

I went to my Laptop which has only VS2015 installed and I get the Exact Same Error? The first form where you are asked some questions about what you want created flashes on the screen and then the attached shows up and nothing happens....?

I am not sure where to even start?

TIA.
By Buffie - 1/21/2016

I used RevoUninstall and got rid of SF. Then I reinstalled it using new vsix to use it with VS2015 and the directions using gacutil.exe. Now I have the SF toolbox and the templates appear when I use my VS2015. So ignore the all the posts except the previous one.
But, when I try to create a SF Custom Business Binding Source I get the same issue as in my previous post????
Any help would be appreciated.
TIA.

By Edhy Rijo - 1/24/2016

Hi Terry,

I was able to duplicate your issue by trying to create a SF Custom Binding Source and got stock on the same searching message "Locating available business object types..."

I know that Ben made some changes to SF Extensibility classes that have to deal with the BOM and also need to look for BOs in the project, probably the code to look for BOs in the SF Custom Binding Source needs to be updated as well.

I hope that Ben can take some time to look at this since it should be fairly easy to fix based on the previous fixes aplied to the BOM.
By Buffie - 1/24/2016

At least I am not losing my mind. Thanks for the inputs. 
Ben - Help..
By Buffie - 1/26/2016

Ben I am just trying to keep this alive since I do need some help.
TIA.
By Buffie - 1/28/2016

I really need some help on this. I recorded a Jing video so you can see it in action..
But I don't know how to attach a swf video?
Please Help.
TIA.
By Edhy Rijo - 1/28/2016

Hi,
You don't attach the video to the post, you just add the link to it using the hyperlink button in the message toolbar.
By Buffie - 1/28/2016

But where does it have to be put? Somewhere they can get to it, correct?
I don't have that.
By Edhy Rijo - 1/28/2016

When you are using Jing, it will upload the video to its own cloud service, then it will give you a link to watch the video, you post that link.
By Buffie - 1/28/2016

I got it. Thanks
By Buffie - 1/28/2016

Finally figured out how to share the video with Edhy's Help. Thank you.CustomBindingError
By Michael Reese - 2/7/2016

Will we ever receive a made for VS 2015 Install? Installing and getting the SF patch on my Win 10 VS 2015 dev environment seems to be a science project alone. I get it installed and one thing or another fails. I spend more time tinkering SF config than actual work. I guess my second question is, is this all for nothing as SF 2.0 has been promised for years now. 

Frustrated 
By Edhy Rijo - 2/16/2016

Hi All,

FYI, Ben was able to fix the issue with the Custom Business Binding Source, I just test it and it is working as expected, to update your StrataFrame installation the following worked for me just fine:
  1. From VS, uninstall the "MicroFour StrataFrame" extension from the "Tools->Extensions and Updates" menu.
  2. Download the new VSPackage.zip package from this thread: http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic33068.aspx
  3. Install the VS package MicroFour StrataFrame Package.vsix
  4. Copy the files MicroFour StrataFrame Extensibility.dll and MicroFour StrataFrame AddIns.dll from your zip file to the Common files MicroFour StrataFrame folder.  In my Windows 10 Pro x64, the path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame\ for x86 Windows should be C:\Program Files\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame\
  5. Run the Developer Command Prompt for VS2015 as Administrator
  6. Uninstall old assemblies registration with the following commands:
    • gacutil.exe /uf "MicroFour StrataFrame AddIns"
    • gacutil.exe /uf "MicroFour StrataFrame Extensibility"
  7. Install and Force new assemblies registration from the Common Files folder with these commands:
    • gacutil.exe /if "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame AddIns.dll" /f
    • gacutil.exe /if "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Extensibility.dll" /f
Michael, trust me, I do understand the frustrations that all these steps may cause, specially if at the end, it doesn't work for you, but if you follow the instructions carefully and open the VS Developer Command Prompt as Administrator, you will be done in no time.

Be aware that this update also fixes previous one since we are basically replacing the AddIns and Extensibility assemblies which contains all previous functionality.  So if you need to re-install StrataFrame later on, you will need to repeat this process after running the original installation, so keep these notes on a safe spot.

Good luck everybody and thanks again to Ben for the fixes.

Edited 7/22/2016: Reorganized the steps above to include step # 3.
By Buffie - 2/16/2016

Edhy is the Add in and Extensibility file the same as we have had with this type of prior install or did you get a new set of them also?

TIA.
By Edhy Rijo - 2/16/2016

Hi Terry,

Buffie (2/16/2016)
Edhy is the Add in and Extensibility file the same as we have had with this type of prior install or did you get a new set of them also?

No they are not the same, they include all the fixes available, basically we are just replacing those 2 files, but to be able to use them we have to unregister previous references and register the new ones.
By Buffie - 2/16/2016

Works on my machine also.
Thanks Ben and Edhy.