StrataFrame Forum

Update Video Training

http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic7338.aspx

By Hugo R. Figueroa - 3/6/2007

Will you have an updated video training?

From what I saw in the demo it is very good, but I want to wait for buy it until an update is available.

By Trent L. Taylor - 3/6/2007

If you purchase the StrataTrain videos we have a supplemental training library that we will give to you as well that has an additional 2 hours of training.
By Larry Caylor - 3/7/2007

I purchased the StrataTrain video. How do I get the supplement? I couldn’t find anything on the StrataTrain site.

-Larry

By Trent L. Taylor - 3/7/2007

I will send a link to you via email.
By Peter Jones - 3/8/2007

Hi,

I've also bought Strata Train which I didn't find very useful so I'm very interested in any supplimentary training that may be available.

Cheers, Peter

By Kelvin Gerhart - 3/13/2007

Peter:

I was thinking of ordering StrataTrain and wondered why you didn't think it was very useful?Can you provide more details?  What was missing?   Would it helpful to a newbie, like me?

Also they mentioned additional training material being available but give no idea about what else was coming.   Any thought of bundling the StrataFrame and StrataTrain together?

Lastly, was it worth the money? Do you want to sell you copy?

Kelvin 

By Trent L. Taylor - 3/13/2007

Kelvin,

StrataTrain is a great resource....especially for beginners.  As for our supplemental videos it contains more advanced videos that extends the StrataTrain Videos.  We plan to add many more videos as well over the next 12 months which will include Role Based Security, more How-To videos, etc.

I highly recommend StrataTrain! Smile

By Michael Reese - 3/13/2007

Stratatrain is a pretty good reference tool. I know some stuff is missing but they say they are planning to roll out a an update and is interested in customers suggestion. However, you probably already know the answer by the time you recommend content. 

Michael

By Larry Caylor - 3/13/2007

I also found Stratatrain to be a good reference tool. However to get the maximum benefit I would recommend that new users purchase it at the same time they purchase a development license. If it were available when I first started I know it would have made learning SF much easier and faster.

-Larry

By Peter Jones - 3/13/2007

Hi Kelvin,

Well I wan't impressed at all - I even asked for my money back. I did all possible research before buying and, overall, it looked good in terms of coverage however what you can't tell from the web site is depth of coverage. My main problem with StrataTrain were:

Repitition: Each section is short enough befoe they spend an unbearable amount of time in section B repeating what was already said in Section A. My estimate was that maybe 40% of the content could be removed due to this repition.

Depth: There is no depth - you are much better off reading the SF help system. Let me give you an example. There is a section called RowVersionOrTimeStampColumn under CRUD Settings - this looks interesting you would think. However, this video runs for just 45 seconds!! The insight that Strata Train gives is that into this property you enter the database column name that is used if you have turned on either Optimistic Timestamp or Optimistic Row Version concurrency control - yippee I would never have guessed that! It is also an example of wasting time - the video starts with selecting the BO and navigating to the property - this entirely useless information takes up nearly half of the video. Each section within the CRUD video is like this - about 20 seconds wasted at the start of each video in selecting a BO then navigating to the property being talked about. This is a loooong time given the average run length of each video is probably under a minute. Actually, in the CRUD section of Strata Train, three of the video's run for about 90 seconds and all the rest for under a minute.

I went through the entire course once and have never referred to it again and I'm sure I never will.

I'm finding the SF help system to be very good and the forum support is nothing short of fantastic. The more I get into SF the more I like it - a bit like the proverbial onion - always more to find beneath the surface.

Cheers, Peter

By Ben Hayat - 3/14/2007

I was about to post a thread asking those who have purchased the SFTrain, and whether it's worth it or not. In the past two months, I had sent email to see if there is going to be any new videos on Role Security and to this, I have not gotten any confirmed answers.

I think the SF Team are much suited to develop these videos than third party who does not have as much insight as SF Team.
By Charles R Hankey - 4/15/2007

I just purchased Strataframe and purchased Stratatrain at the same time.

I'll be posting a lot on these forums, so I won't try to put everything in one message - just wanted to share some iniitial impressions.

I've been affiliated with Framework builders for ten years or so now. I created the training material, do all the developer training and project mentoring for F1 Technologies in the Visual FoxExpress framework and I personally did the 30 hours of training videos for that product.

So far everything about Strataframe and Microfour has impressed me very much. I am delighted with the decision I've made and look forward to a long and fruitfull realtionship.

I've completed the Stratatrain videos ( just the initially downloaded component ) and I am also impressed. ( I would imagine this was not a third party product so much as a third party distribution or production channel and Microfour is heavily involved in the content )

Obviously, this is a work in progress but my understanding is I have purchased a year's worth of upgrades and I would suspect this year will see substantial additions. I will grant some of the videos are a bit thin right now, but I think the design is great and I am sure, based on the first videos in the set, that the authors fully intend to flesh out this material and add to it substantially.

Having done a lot of this stuff, I can tell you it is very very time consuming to create this kind of content in a thoughtful way and I applaud what I"ve seen so far. As far as it being worth the money - that's a no brainer. Think of it as an ongoing subscription to content that is off to a very good start. I'll only know what I bought a year from now, but I see nothing about anything these guys have done that tells me they are going to come up short or disappoint. BigGrin From a producer's perspective, it is also worth noting that the more of us that contribute to this effort, the more incentive there is to expand this training outlet.

Now for a question - which will reflect my ignorance of .NET.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to hook up the sample code. For example, I unzipped the ParentChildRelationship.zip into projects\Parentchildrelationship maintaing folder structure

( projects is the default VS setup under mydocuments etc - works fine for SF tutorial etc )

I can open the solution in VS 2005 no problem, then when I try to build the solution I get errors saying the referenced component cannot be found ( get this for Business, DBEngine,UI and Base)

Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "MicroFour StrataFrame Business, Version=1.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=99fe9917f71608a7, processorArchitecture=MSIL". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors

I am a complete .NET idiot, so floundering around I deleted the four references in the two projects in the solution and added to each the 4 references in 1.6

This reduced my build errors from 185 to 6 Smile

Is this something I can fix myself and will I have to do that for all the source code or should I just wait for updated source to be available ?

TIA

Charles Hankey

Oh, and a link to the additional material available now would be much appreciated.

By Ivan George Borges - 4/15/2007

Hi Charles.

Great to see you here!

I tried to find the .zip file you mentioned, is it something that came with Stratatrain?

You are not talking about the samples installed with the framework, are you? You can see them in your Start Menu, StrataFrame/Samples folder. These ones open fine, with the proper references over here. But soon the SF guys will point you in the right direction.

Are we meeting in Amarillo?

Abraços.

By Charles R Hankey - 4/16/2007

Your enthusiastic reports of Strataframe on the UT certainly encouraged me to give it a good look. Glad I did !

I'm talking about the sample code that comes with Stratatrain. I guess the only issue is the checkfieldsecurity methos of the bizobj having changed its param expectations between versions 1.4 and 1.6 Unfortunately I'm sort of a VB idiot so I don't really know what to do to fix that ( or even if I should )

I'm sure its no big deal, probably just needs Stratatrain repackaging the code.

By Trent L. Taylor - 4/16/2007

Charles,

Ivan is correct.  The samples with StrataTrain need to have their references updated to version 1.6.  You can do this yourself by cimply removing the 1.4 StrataFrame references and adding the 1.6 back in.  Also, I am going to send you an email that has a download to additional videos that were produced in house.  You get these complimentary videos when purchasing the StrataTrain stuff.

Also, you will find that most every sample you need can be found in the samples that come with StrataFrame.  I recommend going through the sample console and viewing all of the samples, then opening up the source for those samples to see how it is done. Smile

Yes, I figured out removing and replacing the references - as I said in my message that reduced the errors from 185 to 6 - but the six errors I show in the jpg attached to the message are the part I don't understand.

I like the samples that come with Strataframe and find them very useful, but I'd also like to use the sample code that comes with Statatrain.

Oh...the business objects need to be rebuilt through the BO Mapper.  The BOs in the sample were apparently created before the Role Based Security was added.  It would be easier at this point for you to just look at the samples provided by StrataFrame since these will be all up-to-date.  There is a parent-child relationship sample that comes with the framework.

Thanks. I am definitely looking at the strataframe sample. i try the BOMapper in the Stratatrain stuff ...

Used the BOMapper to configure the projects and bizobjs - this upped the error count to 82 u:'

( please see attached jpg )

Obviously a lot more is going to need to be done to get these samples to work in 1.6

Since the inclusion of samples that coordinate with the videos was a selling point of Stratatrain I have to assume someone is working on getting the samples in sync with the framework? I will, of course, ask support at Stratatrain, but I thought mentioning to the Microfour would get the info to "them" just as quickly Smile

At very least there should be a disclaimer of some sort on their site or your link to it to make new buyers aware that sample code is " coming soon " so they can decide whether they want to buy now or wait for that product to mature.

guess see atttached jpg would mean more if I actually attached a jpg ...

We do not have any control over their product (StrataTrain), but I will make sure that the right people are made aware of the issue.  Thanks for your patience.
By StrataFrame Team - 4/17/2007

Ah, the problem I think is that the "Inherits BusinessLayer" line was removed from the .designer.vb file because several people wanted to be able to subclass their BOs and every time they built their partial classes, the inherits line would get overwritten back to BusinessLayer. 

So, if you came from an old project and you upgraded to 1.6, you'll have to go to your main code file for each of your business objects and add the Inherits MicroFour.StrataFrame.Business.BusinessLayer line to the class definition.  That will get rid of most, if not all, of your errors; and you'll only have to do it once.  For future business objects, the template was changed so that the inherits line is declared in the main code file, not the designer file.

By Charles R Hankey - 4/17/2007

Thanks Ben -

That did the trick for building ! ( oddly the inherits line was in the ordersBO but not CustomersBO )

When I tried to fill top 100 I did get this unhandled exception

MicroFour.StrataFrame.Business.BusinessLayerException was unhandled by user code

Message="An error occurred while refreshing the data from field 'CustomersBO.cust_lname' to property 'Text' on control 'Textbox5.' Are you missing FieldPropertyDescriptor for a custom property?"

Source="MicroFour StrataFrame Business"

StackTrace:

at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Business.BusinessLayer.RefreshControl(IBusinessBindable ControlToRefresh, Boolean DataPresent)

at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Business.BusinessLayer.RefreshBoundControls()

at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Business.BusinessLayer.raise_CurrentDataTableRefilled()

at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Business.BusinessLayer.OnCurrentDataTableRefilled()

at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Business.BusinessLayer.ChangeCurrentDataTable(DataTable NewTable, Boolean AcceptChanges, Boolean IsSharedTable)

at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Business.BusinessLayer.FillDataTable(String SelectStatement)

at myBusinessObject.CustomersBO.FillTop100() in C:\Documents and Settings\Charles\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\ParentChildRelationship\myBusinessObject\CustomersBO.vb:line 9

at ParentChildRelationship.Form1.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Documents and Settings\Charles\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\ParentChildRelationship\ParentChildRelationship\Form1.vb:line 4

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativewindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativewindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Nativewindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

But there is that hint this may have something to do with a FieldPropertyDescriptor so I'll just consider working through that a learning experience Smile

This stuff is fun !

Thanks again

By Trent L. Taylor - 4/17/2007

Each property that gets created through the BO Mapper has a class created for it as well which is a FieldPropertyDescriptor class that prevents reflection from being used when binding to a control.  When you use the BO Mapper these are automatically created for you.  It appears that his BO would simply need to have the partial class rebuilt and it will create the field property descriptor class.

The only time that you need to manually create a property descriptor is when creating custom fields that will be bound to controls.  There are some samples on this as well as some info in the docs as to what needs to be done here.  In fact, the tutorial shows how to create the property descriptors for a custom field.

By StrataFrame Team - 4/18/2007

Looking at the name of the field within your BO, the cust_lname in the sample was changed to cust_FirstName some time ago (column name in the database changed).  So, if you're rebuilding your partial class from the fields in the database, it should pick up the correct name, and the textbox is probably still bound to the old name "cust_lname".  Is there any way you could download the latest release?  All of the samples in the latest release have been updated so that they reference the new fields...
By Chan - 4/18/2007

Trent L. Taylor (03/06/2007)
If you purchase the StrataTrain videos we have a supplemental training library that we will give to you as well that has an additional 2 hours of training.

Hi,

I also purchased StrataTrain. How could I get the extra training material?

Thank you

By Trent L. Taylor - 4/18/2007

Chan,

I have sent this your way.  Please let me know if you do not receive the email.  Thanks.

By Juan Carlos Pazos - 6/22/2008

Hi Trent

Trent L. Taylor (03/06/2007)

Every hour I work with StrataFrame I love it more. It's great. There are a lot of things can be done and I just don't know how to do it. I pass almost five days crating a Custom Field for my application, once I create the first I already implemented several more in just minutes.

So, I decided to purchase Stratatrain videos, even the material is based in 1.4 and seems to be incomplete, I hope to learn some things that can save me time in my work.

If still is available the suplemental library, I will be glad if you can send to me. If require the receip of purchase I can send to you.

(For error I put a question regarding security in the Database deployment forum, if you can move the post to the appropiate forum or delete the entry, thanks).

Regards

By Geoff Hirst - 6/23/2008

Hi Chaps,

I purchased the stratatrain product too, at about the same time as I purchased stratatrain. At the time, I did find it useful, however as the product has advanced in leaps and bounds I would consider it to be out of date.

Interested in knowing how to get hold of the extra 2 hours that has been mooted on here. Do you need to see Proof of purchase?

thanks

Geoff Hirst

By Trent L. Taylor - 6/23/2008

Just to keep everyone in the loop here, we did not create StrataTrain...it was a third party company that did this.  However, we are now planning or providing our own videos but will wait until we release the KB as this will be the primary source for distributing those videos. 

I will see if I can find and post those two hours of video and just make them available...however, some of them will be slightly out of date as well.  Since we plan to create a post our own videos we have been taking a different road lately.  But in any case, we do plan to have new videos in the long-run that come as a collection as well as a number of videos that will be posted within the KB.