StrataFrame Forum

How do you tell if ES is running?

http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic7903.aspx

By Greg McGuffey - 4/4/2007

I've got ES installed (I think). I have the data sources set. Web.config is set. I've restarted IIS. How do I tell if the derned thing is working? I tried updating my client to use it, but it says that is can't find the server. I'm thinking I need to see if it is running first. Do I have to turn it on (I wouldn't think so...but...)?
By StrataFrame Team - 4/5/2007

You can test to see if it's working by putting in http://hostname/Status.aspx.  The status page will show you the data sources that are configured and so forth.  If you can reach the status page, then the ES is up.  Also, if you get an "access denied" message, then you will need to update the web.config so allow your IP address to view the status page (there's details on how to do that in the help docs).  After that, just make sure that the client computer trying to use the ES can resolve whatever hostname you specify as the ES (try to ping the name).
By Greg McGuffey - 4/5/2007

So, I don't need to include the virtual folder that ES was installed in? I.e. my host is ramstest.foxsys.com, there is now a virtual directory calls StrataFrameES, with the ES app there. So I would access the status.aspx via http://ramstest.foxsys.com/status.aspx (instead of http://ramstest.foxsys.com/StrataFrameES/Status.aspx)?

OK, so i have 127.0.0.1 set to see that status and I have to use http://ramstest.foxsys.com/StrataFrameES/Status.aspx to get the status page. After fixing some XML mistakes in DataSource.Config, its up...

Now, I can't get to it from the client. I can get to that web site (http://ramstest.foxsys.com/index.html), but no joy when attempting to get to it via the app. I get a 404 error, server not found.

I can't ping it, but as I said I can navigate to the website via a browser. I'm wondering if I need to include the StaraFrameES in my ES datasource? Not sure what I'm not understanding here...

I just tried to add the StrataFrameES to the ES datasource and I now get a 400, bad request error.
By StrataFrame Team - 4/5/2007

Can you paste the code snippet from your AppMain where you are adding the EnterpriseDataSourceItem to your DataSources collection?

You're so close... I'm sure you can probably taste it...

Here is the code that creates the EnterpriseDataSourceItems. It bombs when it goes to get the global security data (first data call in app).

Dim dsApp As New EnterpriseDataSourceItem("" _

, "ramstest.foxsys.com/StrataFrameES" _

, 80 _

, "RamsApp" _

, New SqlDataSourceItem(""))

'-- Configure the compression and encryption (optional)

dsApp.IsCompressed = True

dsApp.IsEncrypted = True

dsApp.EncryptionKey = New Byte() {...}

dsApp.EncryptionVector = New Byte() {...}

'-- Add the EnterpriseDataSourceItem

DataLayer.DataSources.Add(dsApp)

Dim dsSec As New EnterpriseDataSourceItem("security" _

, "ramstest.foxsys.com/StrataFrameES" _

, 80 _

, "RamsSecurity" _

, New SqlDataSourceItem(""))

'-- Configure the compression and encryption (optional)

dsSec.IsCompressed = True

dsSec.IsEncrypted = True

dsSec.EncryptionKey = New Byte() {...}

dsSec.EncryptionVector = New Byte() {...}

'-- Add the EnterpriseDataSourceItem

DataLayer.DataSources.Add(dsSec)

This returns a 400 bad requestion. If I change "ramstest.foxsys.com/StrataFrameES" to "ramstest.foxsys.com" I get a 404 not found error.

Yep, I can taste it... BigGrin
By Trent L. Taylor - 4/5/2007

Does your encryption and vector key match?  They should be identical on each side...the application data source definition and the definition on the server.

Yes. I copied and pasted them (and just double checked them).

I just created a new app to test ES. Exact same results. Any ideas? I really need to get this working ASAP so I can make a recommendation about my app using it. Thanks!
By Trent L. Taylor - 4/5/2007

400 Bad Request means that you can talk to the server but there is an issue with the license, don't have the encryption keys lined up, or something of that nature generally.  When you see this message it is generally a configuration error.  If you go to the status page of the ES on the server, is your license activated?

By Greg McGuffey - 4/6/2007

It appears the license is fine. I says it is active until 11/20/2007.

I'm wondering if I have the wrong host name. If I put in "ramstest.foxsys.com" I get a 404 error, file not found. If I put in "ramstest.foxsys.com/StrataFrameES" I get the 400, bad request (in the app .net client). The license is under "ramstest.foxsys.com". I thought I didn't need to have the virtual folder.

I triple checked the keys and they line up.

Guys, I really would like to figure this out today. I gotta be close. The sooner I get this working, the sooner I can test it, the sooner I can figure out if I need to buy it. BigGrin
By Trent L. Taylor - 4/6/2007

The problem is that your host name is incorrect.  It must include the host name and the virtual name as well.  However you get to the site...the license must be activated to match exactly!  This is covered in the docs, which may have been what clued you in here.

I have reset your account so you can log back in and activate with the "correct" Wink host name.  Hope this helps.

Thanks! This makes sense. I actually tried to clarify this before I got the license, but I apparently didn't state the question clearly (or misunderstood both your answer and the help). I might make the suggest that they offer an example that includes a virtual directory.

I just read else where that you guys took today off! Sorry I was a smidge pushy in my last post. Blush I hope you have a good Easter weekend!
By StrataFrame Team - 4/9/2007

I went and checked the code Greg, and apparently, the ES assumes that you won't have a virtual server... it's expecting to be able to put the hostname:portnumber directly, so if you have a virtual server, then the url ends up looking like this:

http://hostname/virtual:portnumber/RemoteDataSource.ashx

not

http://hostname:portnumber/virtual/RemoteDataSource.ashx

like it should.  Give me a few minutes to figure a way out of this and I'll send you a new MicroFour StrataFrame Enterprise Client.dll.

OK, Greg, give this DLL a try... you'll have to dump it into your C:\Program Files\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame folder as well as drag it into your GAC (C:\Windows\Assembly).  As for the hostname in the license file, it has to match the hostname, not the hostname + virtual server... so, in your case, the ramstest.foxsys.com is correct.  The problem wasn't with the hostname not matching, it was with the URL being created within the Enterprise Client.
By Greg McGuffey - 4/9/2007

Ah, thanks Ben. I'm about to give this a try.

So, my license host name is "ramstest.foxsys.com" (used to create license file and to configure ES), but when I create my ES datasource, on the client, I'd still use "ramstest.foxsys.com/StrataFrameES" right?

No joy. I still get a bad request (400).

I was going to attempt to just install it at the root level of my website, but I cannot do that with your installer. It either creates a new web site or it installs into a virtual folder.

I'll try Trent's suggest of getting a new license file that includes the virtual folder in the host name.

I can't seem to create a new license file. It says my MAC address is bad. I've triple checked it. It's good. It is the same one I used originally (same computer).

Thus I'm stuck Crying

The Enterprise Client DLL only needs to be put on your client computer... it's not used on the server at all...

As for the MAC address, it has to be hex, exactly 12 characters either separated by dashes every 2 characters or all together.  Casing does not matter.  So, the following are valid:

01-23-45-67-89-ab

0123456789AB

Email me if you keep having problems getting it reactivated.

By Randall Underwood - 11/6/2008

Guys,

Sorry about posting to such an old thread, however this is the first time (in a year) that I'm slightly confused and I can't find an answer in your forums (great job).  Any way, I'm trying to get ES running on a server and the machine is hosting multiple websites.  So, as per the instructions I've:

1. Installed and setup the site on the server.  I've created a dns pointer with my isp.

2. i can get the status page up on the server. (Good thing).  But it shows I need a license dll.

3. So I've downloaded and installed the license file. my host name matches my dns record (es.raftecho.com) But it still show's I need to activate (i've placed the file in the es \bin folder)

4. I've triple checked all my settings on the client side and the server side.  They all match perfectly (however I'll check again).

So here's my questions:

1. Since the es site in is a virtual directory will this prevent the license dll from being properly created because it is based upon the host header name or should I use the server's name and directory?

2. On my activation page the license ip is 127.0.0.1 (which, I assume is a default setting) should this matter or should it be the public ip address?

thanks for the response and great work guys on the product, been very satisfied with it so far! Smile

BTW - Thanks Trent for taking care of my deactivatioin issue last night at such a late hour! Much appreciation!

Gents,

Sorry for the multiple posts before a response, but here goes.

So I've determined it's a licensing issue, I must have misconfigured my license file.  So now my question is: If my enterprise server is behind a router that is port forwarding to the server, should the mac of the router be used in the license file or the server's mac address?

I think this maybe the problem because my host name resolves to the public ip which is located on the router/firewall, which then does the NAT, then it forwards to the server. 

Sorry about being such a pain, but I haven't been able to find any posts in the forums similar to this.

Thanks.

By Trent L. Taylor - 11/7/2008

Here was my response via email:

No, you won’t use the machine name.  You will use the host name.  For example, if the site will be accessed at https://es.mydomain.com then you would enter “es.mydomain.com” for the host name.  If you are going to use localhost for testing, then enter localhost.  Also, in response to your forum post, the router MAC should have absolutely no effect.  This is going to be 100% isolated to the machine and how the IIS has the hostname defined for that website.  The MAC address will be for that machine as well, NOT the router.  It would be impossible for the router MAC address to be accessed.