How do you tell if ES is running?

Author
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've got ES installed (I think). I have the data sources set. Web.config is set. I've restarted IIS. How do I tell if the derned thing is working? I tried updating my client to use it, but it says that is can't find the server. I'm thinking I need to see if it is running first. Do I have to turn it on (I wouldn't think so...but...)?
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
You can test to see if it's working by putting in http://hostname/Status.aspx.  The status page will show you the data sources that are configured and so forth.  If you can reach the status page, then the ES is up.  Also, if you get an "access denied" message, then you will need to update the web.config so allow your IP address to view the status page (there's details on how to do that in the help docs).  After that, just make sure that the client computer trying to use the ES can resolve whatever hostname you specify as the ES (try to ping the name).
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
So, I don't need to include the virtual folder that ES was installed in? I.e. my host is ramstest.foxsys.com, there is now a virtual directory calls StrataFrameES, with the ES app there. So I would access the status.aspx via http://ramstest.foxsys.com/status.aspx (instead of http://ramstest.foxsys.com/StrataFrameES/Status.aspx)?
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
OK, so i have 127.0.0.1 set to see that status and I have to use http://ramstest.foxsys.com/StrataFrameES/Status.aspx to get the status page. After fixing some XML mistakes in DataSource.Config, its up...

Now, I can't get to it from the client. I can get to that web site (http://ramstest.foxsys.com/index.html), but no joy when attempting to get to it via the app. I get a 404 error, server not found.

I can't ping it, but as I said I can navigate to the website via a browser. I'm wondering if I need to include the StaraFrameES in my ES datasource? Not sure what I'm not understanding here...
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
I just tried to add the StrataFrameES to the ES datasource and I now get a 400, bad request error.
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.1K reputation)
Can you paste the code snippet from your AppMain where you are adding the EnterpriseDataSourceItem to your DataSources collection?

You're so close... I'm sure you can probably taste it...

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Here is the code that creates the EnterpriseDataSourceItems. It bombs when it goes to get the global security data (first data call in app).

Dim dsApp As New EnterpriseDataSourceItem("" _

, "ramstest.foxsys.com/StrataFrameES" _

, 80 _

, "RamsApp" _

, New SqlDataSourceItem(""))

'-- Configure the compression and encryption (optional)

dsApp.IsCompressed = True

dsApp.IsEncrypted = True

dsApp.EncryptionKey = New Byte() {...}

dsApp.EncryptionVector = New Byte() {...}

'-- Add the EnterpriseDataSourceItem

DataLayer.DataSources.Add(dsApp)

Dim dsSec As New EnterpriseDataSourceItem("security" _

, "ramstest.foxsys.com/StrataFrameES" _

, 80 _

, "RamsSecurity" _

, New SqlDataSourceItem(""))

'-- Configure the compression and encryption (optional)

dsSec.IsCompressed = True

dsSec.IsEncrypted = True

dsSec.EncryptionKey = New Byte() {...}

dsSec.EncryptionVector = New Byte() {...}

'-- Add the EnterpriseDataSourceItem

DataLayer.DataSources.Add(dsSec)

This returns a 400 bad requestion. If I change "ramstest.foxsys.com/StrataFrameES" to "ramstest.foxsys.com" I get a 404 not found error.

Yep, I can taste it... BigGrin
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)
Does your encryption and vector key match?  They should be identical on each side...the application data source definition and the definition on the server.
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Yes. I copied and pasted them (and just double checked them).
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
I just created a new app to test ES. Exact same results. Any ideas? I really need to get this working ASAP so I can make a recommendation about my app using it. Thanks!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...