VS2008 support

Author
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Been playing a lot more with VS2008 and I likey Smile

I have migrated a lot of my non-SF 2.0 projects to 3.5 successfully to start implementing new features and am wondering when you guys plan to support 2008, it currently is in "go-live" status which means MS does support it in production environments.

I would appreciate any info you can give me when I can start using 2008 with SF.

Thanks.

Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
We haven't loaded the SF AddIns within VS2008, but it should be backward compatible, so it should be a matter of moving the .AddIns file to the desired location.  As for the enhancements to SF for .NET 3.5 support (LINQ, etc.), we don't have an official time frame.
Jerry Carter
Jerry Carter
StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)
Ben--

Would it be too much to map out the process of installing SF manually under VS 2008. Is it as simple as copying the .addin folder over?

Jerry

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
We will be providing this as part of the install in the next update.  It is not that difficult, however, there are a few type editors that behave funny in 2008.  These seem to be small tweaks here and there, but all in all it is a simple migration process.

First, to get the StrataFrame menu to appear in 2008, you will have to copy over the StrataFrame.AddIn and change the version within it:

C:\Documents and Settings\MyUser\Application Data\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\AddIns\StrataFrame.AddIn

to

C:\Documents and Settings\tltaylor\Application Data\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\AddIns\StrataFrame2008.AddIn

Once this is done, open the 2008 AddIn that you just copied over and change the two version entries to 9.0.

Close the file, close Visual Studio 2008, go back in and you will see the StrataFrame menu.  However, all of the templates will not be installed.  To get the templates installed, you must copy them over from the 2005 folders:

Visual Studio 2005 Folders

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\VisualBasic
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\Web\VisualBasic
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\Web\CSharp
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\StrataFrame
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\VisualBasic\StrataFrame

Copy all of the templates that begin with SF to the 2008 folders of the same names in the Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0 folders.

Visual Studio 2008 Folders

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\VisualBasic
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\Web\CSharp
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\Web\VisualBasic
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\StrataFrame
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\VisualBasic\StrataFrame

Once they are copied over to the 2008 folders, execute this command (be sure VS2008 is closed):

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe /setup

This should get you up and running.  As with any migration forward, there are few type editors that are acting up in 2008.  However, this will be resolved and a new build posted in the next couple of weeks which should resolve any of these issues.

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Thank Trent, just ordered my release 2008 today so this will come in handy.

Keith Chisarik
Howard Bennett
Howard Bennett
StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hey Trent!  Hope all is well - been busy with other things and now it's time to get back to programming...

If I've got VS2008 installed - and have not installed any previous version of VS on this computer (and no StrataFrame of course), am I out of luck until you get the install updated to VS2008?

Thanks - HB

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
I am actually testing the installation and finalizing our new build process this weekend....though thie build will not be released at large for another few weeks.  What I might be able to do is allow you to have the new install early next week so that you can test it out and I will help you work through any problems that you may have.  Obviously I can't do this with every customer so that is why we are working hard to get the build out the door. Smile
Howard Bennett
Howard Bennett
StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (59 reputation)
Trent,

I'd be happy to test the new build. However, I wouldn't want to slow anything down - so - if it will help, send it on.  Otherwise, I'll just be patient and wait.

Thanks - HB

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
I think that I may post a beta build out here tomorrow for those developers who want to give a try.  It will not include all of the fixes and enhancements that will be in the final release of this build, but it does support VS 2005 and VS 2008.  It will even allow you to install to them both at the same time if you are running them side-by-side.
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
If we are running them side by side, what are the licensing issues? Do we need an extra license?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...