Attempting to implement auditing

Author
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users

But, on the brighter side, at least I'm not using DB2... w00t

(sorry Keith, could'nt help myself Tongue )

you sir, are cruel.... Crying

Keith Chisarik
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
LOL....sorry, Keith...it was kindof funny BigGrin
Andria Jensen
Andria Jensen
StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Is there auditing capability like what he wants in the Role-Based Security that you guys offer?  I see mention of it, but I forget exactly how it works.
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
They mentioned this in class whenever it was that I was there Blush and as I recall, it isn't within the framework yet and it has a different purpose than I need. I'm pretty sure their are auditing simply tracks login/logout and data access, but no changes to data. I'm needing to track who and what the actual changes are to the data. They seem to be complimentary to each other. Steve did promise that their auditing would be cool though! BigGrin
Andria Jensen
Andria Jensen
StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)StrataFrame User (392 reputation)
Yeah, I need to keep track of the same things.  Was/Is values of a field when it changes and who changed it.  I thought that's what their auditing did, but (like you) it's been a while since I saw any of it in the class I took.  And when I did see it, it wasn't even finished.  Any of the SF guys want to comment on what exactly is available in the way of auditing??
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
The hooks are currently in place for the auditing, but there is no official word on when the module will be released.  So, if you need auditing on just one or two tables, you'll want to program it in for now, but if you need auditing like that for your whole database, then you'll want to look at a 3rd party tool for SQL Server.

http://sqlserver2000.databases.aspfaq.com/are-there-tools-available-for-auditing-changes-to-sql-server-data.html

I've heard good things about the first one listed, ApexSQL, but I haven't heard of the others much.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...