Attempting to implement auditing

Author
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm attempting to implement auditing. I've got a bunch of sprocs that do a nice job of handling the database side of things, now I need to be able to instigate it from the app.

To that end I've subclassed the BusinessLayer object and overridden the Save and Delete methods. It now handles saving away an audit history item related to change, with user name and an audit comment and saves a record of the fields that were changed changed and what the old and new values were (using the sprocs mentioned above).

However, when I went to test this with a form that was using a MaintenanceFormToolstrip, it didn't work. After some looking I realized that is because the MFT is calling the BaseForm's Save/Delete methods, which call a the BO's Save/Delete, but it is called through a cast to BusinessLayer....so my code never gets called.

So, my question is, what would be the best way to optimize the use of the framework without having to reimplement everything? I could just do a custom toolstrip that calls the methods of the bo directly and handles editing status changes, but would loose all the other cool MTS goodness. On the other hand, messing with the BaseForm seems even worse...my brain is a bit fried, so I'm not seeing clearly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Threaded View
Threaded View
Greg McGuffey - 17 Years Ago
Trent L. Taylor - 17 Years Ago
                         [quote][b]Trent L. Taylor (10/25/2007)[/b][hr]These are the methods...
Peter Jones - 17 Years Ago
StrataFrame Team - 17 Years Ago
                     If I was using SQL Server 2005... :crying:

Life would be...
                         [quote]

But, on the brighter side, at least I'm not using...
Keith Chisarik - 17 Years Ago
                             LOL....sorry, Keith...it was kindof funny :D
Andria Jensen - 17 Years Ago
Andria Jensen - 17 Years Ago
StrataFrame Team - 17 Years Ago