Make sample data optional during install

Author
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm installing SF 1.6.5 beta. Have been for about 1.5 hours. Based on the speed of the sample data being loaded, I've got 4 to 6 hours left. The problem is that my SF database is remote. I'm wondering if the sample data part of the install (assuming that the databases are being updated) could be optional. If it was, I'd have been done about 1.4 hours ago. Ideally, it could be installed separately. I need to upgrade the SF db, but don't need the sample data immediately. I could then have my colleague install it when she gets back from vacation next week. So, to recap:

- could sample data be optional during install

- could install be run again to just install the sample data

Thanks!

(well, I can catch up on some reading now anyway...)
Hugo R. Figueroa
Hugo R. Figueroa
StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I think that when you upgrade, there is a checkbox for that in the installer.
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
There is a checkbox to skip the database portion of the install. I needed to update the SF tables, etc. so I could use it. However, just the sample data portion is what I'm interested in. It's the last step in the database portion of the install.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
I'm wondering if the sample data part of the install (assuming that the databases are being updated) could be optional.

Actually you can do that now...there is a component option when choosing the components that says "Samples."  If you do not choose this, then it will not install the sample database.  I guess we could make it more granular, but the problem then could be new SF trials and users not installing that database and prompt more support questions...but I will consider adding that, but for now there is really no reason for you to load the samples...you are a seasoned professional Wink

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Man, you guys are fast. I ask for something and viola...its done! Wink

Obviously I missed that option. I'll use this next time. Thanks!
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Cool Smile
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
OK, just installed the latest beta, and I realize that the "samples" install option needs to be more granular Sad

As it stands now, I either have the choice of installing the samples, which I want, as they are helpful (the solutions/source code), but then I'm looking at an ugly install of the data (hours), or I can't install any samples at all.

Thanks!
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Done...it will be in the next update I post later today. Wink
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Thanks I'm about to test it out now BigGrin
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Worked great. I also noticed the "close and cancel" link. Nice. Thanks!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...