Enforce field MaxLength in the BOM by default

Author
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Oh, I was already counting you on, Greg! Wink
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Ivan George Borges (03/22/2008)
Oh, I was already counting you on, Greg! Wink

Me too!!!

Ivan, I know you have a big beer contest or something like that for the July class, I don't drink beer, but I'll buy you one (yes, just one Tongue) any size you like, if I make it to the class!

Edhy Rijo

Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Hi Edhy.

Ivan, I know you have a big beer contest or something like that for the July class, I don't drink beer, but I'll buy you one (yes, just one Tongue) any size you like, if I make it to the class!

You are safe with me, then! I am a very light drinker, but it is going to be a pleasure to have one with you, and just tell me what you prefer instead of the beer. BigGrin

Hope you can make it. Where are you going to be coming from?

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Ivan George Borges (03/24/2008)

... and just tell me what you prefer instead of the beer. BigGrin

Hope you can make it. Where are you going to be coming from?

Well, I prefer Steaks and Ice Tea Wow

I live in New York, so it will be a couple of hours trip, of course I won't drive w00t

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Truth be told...we all like to talk big, but everyone (that has posted so far and that I know) including myself, are very light drinkers BigGrin ...but it is more fun to talk big BigGrin

Yeah, we actually have people already coming from as far away as Denmark...so I am pretty sure they aren't driving either Tongue

Teddy Jensen
Teddy Jensen
StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)

Yeah, we actually have people already coming from as far away as Denmark...so I am pretty sure they aren't driving either

No - I'm definitely not driving BigGrin it is a three flight trip each way. But i have been there before and know the class is worth it and Ivan is buying the beers.BigGrin

/Teddy

Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Teddy, I won't even mind if you bring one of those small glasses you showed us. Hehe

http://www.ahajokes.com/crt001.html

Alex Luyando
Alex Luyando
StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)
I don't mean to pour salt into old wounds, but...

I have a question concerning the BO v. control-based validation of value lengths. In apps where essentially all data entry is via forms/controls, maxlength seems like a nice, clean approach. If SF can automatically set (and update when the underlying column widths change) those values based on BOM metadata for us, even better since I don't get any rush setting .maxlength properties these days.

If, however, the app deals with data mining or other importing of external data sans a UI (but using a BO), then the control-based solution is perhaps a bit less of a solution? In my past (VFP/Visual FoxExpress) life as well as my current reincarnation (C#/StrataFrame) it seems I am always dealing with importing of significant amounts of data and I would love to have my BOs deal with whatever it can without requiring my taking time for more complex business logic implementation.

Just interested in everyone's comments on the above... without getting too intense or fanatical... At the end of the day we're all here 'cause we luv SF!!!

Thanks.

E
Hi Alex,

I agreed with you and would also like to see this implemented/managed via the BOM in a near update. Hehe

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Max length is already on the slate to be implemented at the control level.  The BO already has the field lengths so it is just a matter of implementing logic within controls such as the textbox, etc. to prevent field length issues.  This would obviosuly be a flag that would force the max length.  So this is already on the slate to be implemented.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...