Read Only Permissions

Author
Tim Dol
StrataFrame User (366 reputation)StrataFrame User (366 reputation)StrataFrame User (366 reputation)StrataFrame User (366 reputation)StrataFrame User (366 reputation)StrataFrame User (366 reputation)StrataFrame User (366 reputation)StrataFrame User (366 reputation)StrataFrame User (366 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm setting up form security permissions and have a question regarding the Read Only option.

I created four permissions per form, View, Add, Edit and Delete.  If I give 'View' permissions and Deny Add, Edit and Delete, have I essentially granted Read Only Permissions on the Form? 

Do you suggest I check the option 'Do not allow read-only as a possible action for this permission' on the four form permissions to elimiate any confusion for the user setting the permissions?

Thanks

Tim

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
This is really a judgement call on your part as it relates to your users.  The difference here is that when you use the read-only option, the control to which it is bound will follow suit without you having to add any additional code.  That is the primary benefit.  Otherwise you are correct in your assessment.
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I needed something simular, in that I needed either edit or readonly permissions for a form. However, forms only allow one security key to be set and it controls if the form is shown or not. If the user has GRANT on the permission it is shown, otherwise (READONLY or DENY) it is not shown. (See http://forum.strataframe.net/FindPost7610.aspx.) Has this changed?

If not, I'm curious how you are planning on handling this Tim. What I ended up doing was setting a security key on every field in the BO (which is now a lot easier that the Customize Wizard allows you to set the security key...thank to the SF team BigGrin). This ensures that the user can't mess with the data except how they are allowed (on any form). To handle enabling/showing items on the toolstrip (or any other control), I have a property extender (like a the tooltip provider or error provider) where I can manage control state via the user's permissions. I'm not convinced this is the best way to go, but haven't thought of any other way just yet.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Has this changed?

No...for a form you are right on the money, Greg.  I was referring to the field level security.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...