RBS and Oracle

Author
Purnell W Glenn
StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I'm in the planning stage of designing a large app that need to run on MS SQL and Oracle.   I want to use the RBS on both platforms, because it would allow me to have a single core appp when complete.   I have read posts on this issue that RBS does not work on oracle and I may can not have an option to install SQL express.

I like to know is there another work around, which aloud the RBS to point to oracle.  Even if I have to do some work.

Purnell W Glenn
Purnell W Glenn
StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)
Need to clarify,  I may not have an option to have an SQL instance with the Oracle client only.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Purnell,

This would involve a lot of work trying to put the RBS data structures in an Oracle environment.  You will also lose the added bonus of using the DDT to deploy your permissions, etc.  I am not sure why you would not be able to load an Express instance on some machine on the network, but though it may be possible to work through getting the structures in an Oracle format there are inevitably going to be unforeseen behaviors that could cost a lot of time effort and energy.  I would do my best to load an Express instance.

Purnell W Glenn
Purnell W Glenn
Trent, no problem in not using the DT.

In a perfect world, adding a SQL instance would be ok, but this client is big on SOX compliancy.  Their Oracle datacenter is already compliant and if they introduce a MS SQL component, the auditors devalues the SOX cert for the whole center.

I was told that they are not prepare to certify SOX compliancy on MS SQL yet, because the auditors look at it as a whole.  Which means that they would have to look at all applications that use MS SQL in their organization.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
I understand...everyone has different environments and needs.  But I don't thing that trying to create the RBS tables in Oracle would be a feasable port.  One problem past getting it going is that it will become a maintenance nightmare when change add functionality, change structures, etc.  and it will not be tested, so we could not really give you the full support (if any) that it would work.  Unless we commit to making RBS work on Oracle structures, which we are not prepared to do at this point, this would really fall into the realm not something that I would take lightly.  If I were in your shoes knowing everything that I (Trent) know, I would not attempt to make this work with Oracle.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...