Enterprise Server in OLTP environments, high loads

Author
Emre Ozer
StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

Can anyone share their experiences with Enterprise Server in OLTP environments?

How does ES behave under high loads, heavy use of transactions?

Does ES forward transactions accurately with hardware NLBs?

Thanks already for any feedback.

Regards,

Emre

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Emre,

The ES is often used in extremely large environments and was written from the beginning to allow a SaaS model, fortune 500 companies, or government agenies to have centrally stored database environment without the limitation of growth or size.  We had this need in our medical software as well and we use it every day in large environments....and it is solid!  The ES fully supports OLTP and even works when running in a server farm when load balancing is implemented. 

The ES obviously works for smaller environments as well, but it was designed to be scalable by hardware and run in a server farm environment preventing a cap from being hit and providing the most scalable environment.

Emre Ozer
Emre Ozer
StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (15 reputation)
That's great.

I also hope I can get experiences from such customers, pos./neg. feedback, any issues- if any-they have faced. etc. 

Although performance outputs are highly dependant on architectural decisions, feedback regarding usage of ES specific features would be very valuable.

thanks,

Emre

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Emre,

We've been using ES for about 6 months in an OLTP app. We don't have huge numbers, but it has been performing very well. Our primary issue is that 99%+ of our users are access the db via VPN, often over very bad connections. When connecting directly, this meant that the users had to connect via a VPN. Also, as many of the users are contractors, security was a concern. ES provided solutions for both the connection and security issues. Because ES connections can be both encrypted and compressed, it allows for much more efficient connections and is more secure. It also greatly reduced our maintenance costs, as we no longer have to deal with a ton of issues related to users using a VPN.

So, this doesn't really speak to the issue of scalability/high volume, but I thought I'd share some other areas were ES really shines. BigGrin

Hope this was helpful!

Greg
Emre Ozer
Emre Ozer
Thanks Greg, for your valuable feedback!
Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
The agency I work for also uses the Enterprise Server. In our case it wasn't a scalability issue but the ability to run rich client applications over a WAN. Our organization is spread across a number of locations and the available bandwidth connecting them is not always what I'd like it to be. Replacing direct connectivity from the client to the DB server with ES has eliminated the bandwidth issues (at least for SF applications Smile) We've been using it almost from the day it was released and it has been rock solid. I highly recommend it.

-Larry

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...