Role Based Security Editor

Author
Geoff Hirst
StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Chaps,

I have fallen into a problem. I have enabled what I thought was security in my application and where it is at the moment it presents a login to the user and that's it. I was just embarking on the actual security portion, deciding what user roles can get into what forms etc. When I discovered that the security editor that you provide actually looks at the security tables in the SF database, while in my application the security dialog is actually looking at the security tables in my application. As I understand that permission sets can't be altered while an app is running, is there any way that I can use your application to look at the tables in my application.

I have tried this but the SFSProjects table is not present in my application, and I wouldn't actually expect it to be.

I am on 1.6.6 if that makes any difference.

thanks

Geoff

Geoff Hirst
Geoff Hirst
StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)
I think I might have just made things worse. I went into the DDT, and went to re-deploy the security tables, as I thought that they might need updating since I had recently moved to 1.6.6.

This went ahead and IE appeared warning about a relationship that already exists in the database.

When I now try to create a package for install, and include the deployment data, I get the attached error message.

Do I need to remove the security table deployment entries?

thanks

Geoff.

Attachments
DMT-Error-1026.jpg (112 views, 74.00 KB)
Geoff Hirst
Geoff Hirst
Guys,

Please ignore my rantings above. I forgot about the deployment packages. Totally 101 today.

thanks

Geoff.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
OK...first, you should never use your standard SF database for the security table in your application.  This is for design-time purposes only.  Second, the exact same dialog gets used within the design-time as your application (SecurityDialog).  Third, the DDT should then package up your security data using the wizard to help you create the Deployment packages.

Now, since you are in a quandry, copy over your existingb PKG file (backup).  Then manually delete the RBS views, tables, and deployment data items.  Then re-add the security tables using the Profile->Add Security Tables options.  Then run the deployment data wizard to import the security permissions back into the DDT.  This should get you to ground zero.  Then, be sure that your application pulls all of the security data from YOUR application database, not the StrataFrame database.  Then when you add new permissions in the future, just rebuild the DDT package and redeploy the data and it will add the new permissions inito YOUR database.  This is how it is intended to be used.  Hope that makes sense Smile

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
LOL...I just posted...glad you found it Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...