I want your opinion!

Author
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
I am usually the person on the other end of this post...but this time I want your answers!  As you know, we are putting together a knowledge base.  Part of this will be FAQs for each portion of StrataFrame (framework, DDT, ES, etc).  However, even if it is related to something else that you see often out here, I want your opinion...so I am really going for those vets who spend a lot of time viewing the forum posts.  This is not "things I want to see in the KB" but rather "FAQs of SF developers, newbies, advanced, etc."  If you see if out here a lot, I want your opinion as to what topics should be in the FAQ section for each topic. 

I am only going to post in this one thread, but this can cover an apsect of StrataFrame....so let me know what you think!  Thanks!!!! Smile

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
A few things come to mind immediately:

- DDT usage. I.e. data stored in SF meta data, then the need to deploy to actual database. Seems to catch a lot of people.

- Reference issues. The whole look for the lost assembly exercise because VS starts blowing up/installations fail thingy.

- For .NET newbies, the whole sub classing thing is huge (was for me anyway). I used to ask a lot of questions because I didn't realize that I could really easily just add the functionality I needed. Sub classing the BusinessLayer and StandardForm would likely be the most helpful examples.

When I think of more I'll post them. Look forward to the KB!
Richard Keller
Richard Keller
StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)
These are the things that I am getting asked teaching my people about SF.   I cannot stress enough how good SF is to anyone outside the community reading this.

Some FAQ's,

1. Adding Custom Properites to BO's: 

2. Event Delegates ( more of a .Net in general item, which your FAQ should have a .Net general section Wink.

3. Binding SF to Devexpress Grids has it's own learning curve.

4. Subclassing the BO by inheriting MicroFour.StrataFrame.Business.BusinessLayer.   This is the first thing to do for any new project as mentioned by Greg.

5. Connection String handling to the Database when using BO's in assemblies instead of an Application.

6. Creating a BO Cache.  We simply used a Shared Class and CopyDataFrom with the Class containing Shared BO's in a seperate Namespace.

7. GAC deployment, development issues.  

Richard

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Perfect guys Smile Keep 'em coming BigGrin
Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Well, I went through the forum and browsed the 2811 topics... w00t

These are the ones that appeared to be more in evidence:

- The StrataFrame database, purpose, what it does, StrataFrame Data Store

- Custom Properties, creating, binding

- Deployment of Security

- Changing references on the source code

- How to deal with Addin problems, where to find them

- Activating / Deactivating - techniques to work on multiple computers

- Creating a LaunchForm

- working with the DateTimePicker

- How to deploy pre-released DLLs

- Best practices on setting up Localization, how to embbed the XMLs

- Enable / Disable controls based on State Changed

- Using BBS for reports

- Best practices on Form loading, slowliness

- Setting up Concurrency

- Working with NULL values

- implementing IBusinessBindable into 3rd parties

- setting up ParentXChild relationship

- Solution Preferences overview

- How to set debugging on

- Adding Broken Rules

- Setting up Search Values programaticaly for the Browse Dialog

- Best techniques on retrieving data to populate BOs efficiently

- Possible SF Activation problems

- ShareDataTable and BO translations

- Properly creating working environment and source control

- Techniques to work with mobile devices

- Ways to deal with connection strings

- Business Objects on Web Applications

- Creating global variables

- changing DataSource at runtime

- Using Link Tables

- Working with Grids

- How to setup the Enterprise Server

- Changing strutctures in DDT without assigning a default value problem

- Database Migrator use

- Retrieving Current User informations

- Populating ComboBoxes, top most, etc.

- Creating and dealing with User Controls

- Creating templates

- Comments on Software Deployment techniques

- Best practices on NameSpace structures

- ways to work with pictures and how to store them

- Attention to applied filters on BOs

- RBS in a web application

- SF and AJAX

- RBS in a non SQL Server environment

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
DANG, Ivan!!!! You trying to keep me busy or what!!!! BigGrin
Paul Chase
Paul Chase
Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)
I think Ivan pretty much has it coveredBigGrin
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...