merge replication in SQL Server 2000

Author
Julio Cesar Bilitardo
StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello Guys!

I talk from Sao Paulo, Brazil.

I develop system for industries and all of many then, I use SQL Server 2000 ( Small Business Package ).

My projetcts are all in VB6.

And some time ago I read an article in a Brazilian .Net Magazine about StrataFrame.

I was very interested in use strataframe, and I saw a demonstration.

It´s really fantastic.

But, some questions made think about use strataframe.

one of them is, how I can manage table strutucts manually in merge replication databases?

specially in tables that are in replication. because new tables, we can create in query analiser. but in tables that are in replication, the fields are create using enterprise manager replication monitor, adding columns in articles!

How DDT create all structures alone, this fields will not be create.

Buy.

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Juio Cesar and welcome to the SF forums....

Even though I have not experience in SQL Replication process, there are several posting in the forum about it, so while you get a direct answer from SF team or any other developer member you can simply do a search with the word "replication" without quotations and that will get you started.

SF is a great product, there are several brazilian developers here so I am sure you will feel very comfortable.

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
one of them is, how I can manage table strutucts manually in merge replication databases?

You can deploy to a database that uses replication, but like anytime you use replication, you may have to do this at an off or slow time and you may need to create a pre-deploy script (new feature in the 1.6.6 beta) that allows you to turn off replication and then turn it back on in a post-deployment script once the deployment is complete.

We actually had a discussion about this on another thread the other day...you might take Edhy up on his suggestion and search for replication and/or DDT to see those posts as well.

Julio Cesar Bilitardo
Julio Cesar Bilitardo
StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (9 reputation)
Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Now, tell me a little more abou ddt!

can i see the script that will run ?

because if i can see it, the way it creates the tables, fields, and other structures, i can do it manually!

am I right?

Julio Cesar Bilitardo
Julio Cesar Bilitardo
Edhy,

thanks for your help.

i try to do what you sugest, but the my seach brougth me few answers.

i don´t know if i seach in the correct place.

but i will try again.

Buy.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
can i see the script that will run ?

No, not really.  We use SMO (SQL Server Management Object) to deploy most of the structures and only use T-SQL when using pre and post deploy scripts, etc.  If you allow the DDT to automatically create your CRUD sprocs, then you can see the sprocs that will be created.

We also do a lot of other stuff behind the scenes so that you don't have to actually upgrade structures in order (i.e. going from version 1 to 3, for example). 

You do get the source code hen you purchase SF so you can see what we do, but it is not all T-SQL script that gets used.  Hopethat makes sense.

A little trick that you can do though is use a packet sniffer to see all of the T-SQL code that gets executed.  Ultimately all code is broken down into T-SQL script...even through SMO.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...