Deploying UDFs etc

Author
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
I almost had a psychic girlfriend, but she dumped me before we met)

That cracked me up!  Glad you found what you were looking for...you see, ideas like this come up when you use your own products BigGrin

Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
(I almost had a psychic girlfriend, but she dumped me before we met)

ROFL

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Sorry "Troy" ( gee Trent, late at night I get MY name wrong Wink )

I thought i saw something about that and I have 1.66 installed.  For some reason I missed the Scripts node - looking for it under the profile node for some reason.  See it now and yeah, that's exactly what I needed.  It's like you're psychic!  (I almost had a psychic girlfriend, but she dumped me before we met)

My favorite kind of ER (on either side of the toolmaker/tooluser fence) is for a really cool feature that's already been implemented BigGrin 

I LOVE THE DDT !!

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
But this would be a case of deploying the first install directly from DDT. 

One more thought here too....starting with the 1.6.5 release, once the DDT has deployed once to either a new or existing database, it marks all of the sprocs and UDFs that are part of the profile with an extended property so that the DDT will not remove any sprocs or UDFs created by other people outside of the DDT....this can be helpful in environments where you may have IT people creating some of their own UDFs and sprocs for reporting purposes, etc.  This comment just made me think of this and I wasn't sure if it would make a difference for you or not.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor

Pretty sure Troy and the gang must have thought of this as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if DDT has (or will have) something like this

I am not sure who "Troy" is Wink but if you download the 1.6.6 beta I think it already has what you are looking for.  It has pre and post deployment scripts that allow you to do anything you want...it allows you to create T-SQL script that gets executed in order of priority...and you can have them execute either before or after the DDT deploys the data structures...this allows you to execute anything that you want.  It also has the ability to execute on a particular database (either within the profile or master depending on your needs).  You can get that version here: http://forum.strataframe.net/FindPost16061.aspx

If I am misunderstanding you then please let me know.  Thanks Smile

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)
But this would be a case of deploying the first install directly from DDT.  I have the UDFs as part of the Model systems database.  If I create a new database in MS, those UDFs are automatically created as part of the new database.

I was thinking that if I were going to use DDT as the place where I first created a database, I would like to have a group of UDFs that became part of the initial DDT package.  I realize I could add them one at a time to the UDF portion of the interface in DDT, but I was also thinking if I could have DDT run a number of scripts as part of the deployment that would accomplish the same thing (and could be useful in other scenarios) 

Pretty sure Troy and the gang must have thought of this as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if DDT has (or will have) something like this Smile

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Charles,

I have not used the DDT much, but I believe you can import your database into DDT and it should get all your SP and functions.

Edhy Rijo

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
I have some scalar functions in my Model database which are created in any new database I create in MS

But if I create a new database via DDT it does not seem to use model.

I see where one adds an SP or UDF to the package.  But what if you have a lot of UDFs or other procs that I want to have available in all new DDT databases, is there a DDT way to create have all of those be part of every new DDT deployment ?

I'm suspecting there is a way to package a bunch of scripts as part of the DDT package and have them run by DDT after deployment ?? 

If not, I would suspect all of this is a pretty standard ER??

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...