ES Server was down

Author
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My companies ES server went down tonight at around 5pm PST. The error was related to the being unable to contact the 'activate.micro4.com' server.

This doesn't seem like it should happen, that if you licensing server goes down, my server goes down as well. Please advise if there was some configuration I should have done or if there was some other issue I could address. My ES server was attempting to contact 'activate.micro4.com' whenever a user attempted to login (maybe other times as well, but we never got past login).
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Greg,

This actually should not have happened.  Did you get an exception email that the ES will send you if an exception is thrown?  If so, I would really like to see it.  We are going to see if we can reproduce this because as of right now, you are the only one that is reporting this...and there are a number of other ES users out there.

You are right in that we had the servers down last night for 3 hours....long story....but in any case, this should definitely not happen.  Any additional details and how you discovered this would be great to have so that we can trouble shoot!

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
This is good to hear (that this wasn't supposed to happen). Now to see why. Yes we received an exception email every time someone tried to connect to ES. I'll email you one of those emails (they were all the same).

There were some earlier exceptions, but my sys admin had changed the smtp IP and not told me, so those exceptions just resulted in an exceptions that the smtp server didn't exist.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
I got your email and we will take a gander at it Wink
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Any progress?
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Working on a reproduction...I will let you know when I have something for you.
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Thanks!
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
We have found the location that could cause this to fail and will be posting a fix with the next update.  Just thought you would like to know Smile  If you have an immediate need for this, let me know, but there will be another 1.6.6 build here pretty quick as there is a new language that we failed to implement in the previous build (Czech).  So probably sometime this week.
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Thanks Trent! I do have an immediate need for this. Ermm
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
I have posted a build that addresses both of the issues that you have run into on ES.  You can get it here: http://forum.strataframe.net/FindPost16782.aspx

Let me know if you have any issues.  We did prove it and test it, so you should be good, but we made a change the the MicroFour License Base.dll assembly which changed the public token key.  It should now match the ES assemblies...so if you have more than one version of this in the GAC (if they are even in the GAC), delete the one that has a public token key that doesn't match the ES assemblies.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...