Report Documenting Table Structures

Author
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Is there already a reporting function in DDT to print out the table structures etc?  Or is there such an ability built into SQL Server 2005 someplace?

Just realized I have all kinds of documenting tools for my DBCs in VFP but don't know (or have forgotten) how to go about this in DDT/SQL

( If none of this is already there, consider reporting an ER for the DDT)

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)
Ok, still think it would be nice to have a report of what DDT has stored (though after searching here and reading Trent's post on the subject maybe it wouldn't be that big a deal)

But my real issue was : How do you document a SQL Server database.  Found this, it is only $50 and seems to do the job very well.  Free trial download so I'd be interested to hear what others think. 

http://www.winnershtriangle.com/w/Products.SQLDocumentationTool.asp

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
They have a bundle for $100 that includes the .NET and ASP documentation tools and the SQL Server doc tool.  Seemed reasonable so I bought it. BigGrin
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
I was quite impressed with RedGate's product, SQL Doc.

http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Doc/index.htm

It is a little bit more money, but it can be bundled with other of their software to round out some of the functionality that a DBA might be needing.

I know this is an afterthought for you, but others who search the forums may find this helpful.

Smile
Bill

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
We have used Redgates SQL Doc as well and all of their products are good.  I guess the reason that the DDT doesn't have the ability to print is because there has been little to no requests for it...including from ourselves.  We used to print these out when in VFP and using Stonefield...and you kindof had to since it was next to impossible to keep Stonefield up while programming.  Another problem was keeping the print outs up to date.

But with the DDT we just bring up the DDT while programming.  So it has not spawned a great need here...though there are some needs when supplying structures to 3rd parties, etc (or even help docs).  So this is already on the list...if you have loaded the latest 1.6.6 beta, you will see that many changes are already in the works. Wink

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...