Problem assingning permissions

Author
Juan Carlos Pazos
StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi

I recently pruchased the Security module. I follow step by stem the guideline in the Help file, I add to my application every poin mentioned there.

As I can understand, I use the script you provided to add the necesary tables to my database application.

I can enter to the application with the default user "the one defined in the AppMain.vb and can add a user to the database.

In the Security Editor I add to users and define a permission for a form in my application. I think that the permissions and roles must be created there and in the application can only manage users and select the permissions already defined to the users.

But when I run the application there are not permissions.

I read here about the connection, in the Security Editor is under File menu a command to select the database conextion, of course this connection goes to the StrataFrame base database, if I create a new connection to the database I for my applicatio, it gives me errors.

I don't have DDT.

Can you explain me how to define permissions in my application. I have the plan to purchase DDT later (a few weeks) but I want to define security for my application now.

Also I review the sample application, and I have the same in my application.

Regards

Smile Everything is possible, just keep trying...

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Well, you may be missing a step or a piece here.  First, you will create a security project from within Visual Studio.

StrataFrame -> Role Based Security Editor

Once you have done this, you will create your project and your permissions that will be used with your project.  Next, you will want to deploy the RBS structures to the database or server that you will use at run-time.  This may be the step you are missing.  Once you have the DDT, you can have the DDT import the RBS structures and then choose which RBS project data that you want to deploy.  But without the DDT, it is your responsibility to deploy the RBS data on your own.  So you would want to retrieve all of the pieces for the specified project (i.e. permissions, etc) and then deploy them to the destination database.

Now one thing that you could do, temporarily until you get the DDT if you don't want to go to this trouble, is just use your StrataFrame database as the security database temporarily until you purchase the DDT and are ready for deployment.  To do this, just create another connection in the AppMain.vb file (or program.cs if you are using C#) that points to the SQL Server instance and the StrataFrame database.  Then in the InitApplication method, point your security key to this connect.

THIS IS ONLY A TEMP FIX!  Do not leave your application setup this way, it would just be a way for you to move forward if you are having a hard time getting the data deployed without the DDT.

SetDataSources in AppMain.vb

MicroFour.StrataFrame.Data.DataBasics.DataSources.Add(New SqlDataSourceItem("SECURITY","server=MyServer;integrated security=SSPI;database=StrataFrame;"))

InitApplication in AppMain.vb

SecurityBasics.SecurityDataSourceKey = "SECURITY"

Juan Carlos Pazos
Juan Carlos Pazos
StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks Trent

I will try both ideas for the moment.

Another point, I'm from Mexico (that explains my continues mistakes in writting english), and I put my app, to select the code languaje, this works fine. In the security editor and in the messages, I found that they are in spanish but some are not clear (for my users), But I could not find where to personalize that parts. Can you tell me if personalize the localization for security can be done?

Regards

Smile Everything is possible, just keep trying...

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Can you tell me if personalize the localization for security can be done?

Well, we have other developers from Spanish speaking countries that have translates SF.  This is not something that you can make a change to without changing the SF source code.  If there is a legitimate change that should be made, then it needs to be updated in our localization database and then the brought back into the SF assemblies.

You are welcome to send me the text as you think it should be and I will pass this along for review.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...