Tables Do Not Import

Author
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am attempting to setup the DDT to begin a new project.  The database already exists.  I can connect to the DB and traverse all objects using the management studio.  When I run the import, I am not getting any tables.  The import takes a long time and the progress bars make me think something good is happening, but there are no tables.  The stored procedures are there.  The views are there.  The 102 tables are not.  I am a newbie to the DDT.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Bill

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
No, I think that there is an issue that I ran into myself during the class the other day.  As you know, we are in the middle of class and will be again next week as well...and my "to-do" list is filling up fast, but this is on it and I will get to it one night over the next week or two.  Sorry for the delay here. Ermm

I beleive the problem is actually easy to fix and came from some new functionality that was recently added in the structures.  So I will try to get to this as quick as possible.  Thanks.

Jeff Pagley
Jeff Pagley
StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Trent,

I am having a similar problem as Bill.  I just purchased the DDT.  I am trying to import an existing database.  The views and sprocs show up, but the tables are missing.  During the process the internet explorer pops up displaying the information below.

Thanks,

Jeff

Data File Name : The data file name cannot contain spaces or begin with a numeric value.
View Name : The view name cannot contain spaces or begin with a numeric value.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Yeah, this is actually a bug that we found during training that I have not yet fixed.  When we added the triggers, it introduced a bug on the import during the save.  I will get this fixed at the start of the week and then repost an update.  Sorry Ermm
Jeff Pagley
Jeff Pagley
StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)
Hi Trent,

Any status on the DDT patch?  I have some databases I would like to import to get started with DDT.

Thanks,

Jeff

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Fixed and rebuilding an install.  Will post in the Posted Releases section in just a bit.  Thanks. Smile
Jeff Pagley
Jeff Pagley
Hi Trent,

What is the status on the DDT patch? 

Thanks,

Jeff

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
I posted it 30 minutes after my previous post here w00t ...you can download it from here: http://forum.strataframe.net/FindPost18263.aspx
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I still must not be doing something right. 

I downloaded the most recent update (8/1) and ran the import this evening.  Sorry it took so long to get back to this.  All of the tables were brought into the DDT.  Great.  Then, I proceeded to change a few things (add a table, alter tables, add fields, delete fields...you know, the typical stuff).  When I finished with my changes (not too many), I decided it was time to deploy those changes to the server.  I created the deployment package and began the deployment.  I was met instantly with the first table being prepared for modification...I never touched the first table.  It then proceeded to tell me that the primary key index was dropped and that the table was successfully altered.  Ugh!!  It then did the same thing to the next two tables before I stopped the carnage.  It looked like it was going to hit every table in the database.

After a quick review and comparison I discovered that no indexes were imported.  Not even the primary key indexes registered in the DDT.

First, why didn't any indexes get imported?  Second, why did any unchanged table in the DDT get altered in the database at all?

Thanks,
Bill

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
A couple of things here.

First, the index thing was just a bug that was intrduced the same time as the tables when schemas were added as part of the criteria.  So this was a very simple and easy fix and we checked to see if this would crop up anywhere else and so at this point things should be fine.  A build is being created as we speak and will be posted in the next hour or so.

Now, a couple of things in regards to your expectations.  The database import is intended to bring your structures, relationships, indexes, etc. in and then allow you to massage them and go from there.  When you first post, you MAY actually see some tables be modifed that you are not expecting which is not an issue in many cases as extended properties are being applied, foreign keys updated, etc.  In this case it was an issue since the indexes were missing.

Finally, the last thing that you should do is deploy to a production server the first time you are testing your meta-data.  Obviously do a backup of your database, then copy it over, and test it on a NON-PRODUCTION database until you can massage and deploy as you are expecting. 

Finally, the import tool in not intended to be a 100% catch-all.  It gets you a long ways down the road and in many cases is 100% depending on the database.  But like anything else...be sure to test on a non-production environment until you are getting the results that you are expecting. Wink

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...