Database Connection clarification.

Author
Philipp Guntermann
StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
thanks Smile
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
All of this is related to connection strings.  By default the SF templates use the Connection String Wizard.

Read this help section:

Philipp Guntermann
Philipp Guntermann
StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)StrataFrame User (205 reputation)
Hello Trent,

each time i create a new strataframe application and launch it for the first time, it will ask me to specifiy a connection for its database. this is not the "strataframe"-database. i had to specifiy a connection to the strataframe database after i installed the framework.

could you specify which topic within the Strataframe documentation you are refering to ? i have been reading through it quite a bit, tho i cannot find a chapter that explains it.

thanks.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
since the connection details (sql server, instance, login..) are stored within the "global" Strataframe Database, which is not available after deployment, how does the compiled application now that its suppossed to connect to sql server 192.168.1.15 for example ?

That connection that you are referring to is ONLY for design time purposes and is ONLY for StrataFrame database )the framework uses itself within the design-time environment) .  You will be specifying your own connections within your application within the Appmain.vb or program.cs file in the SetDataSources() method.  You either specify the connections yourself through the MicroFour.StrataFrame.Data.DataBasics.DataSources collection or use the Connection String Manager.

I would recommend looking at the docs for more information on this.

Philipp Guntermann
Philipp Guntermann
Hi,

we are using strataframe along with the ddt.

since the connection details (sql server, instance, login..) are stored within the "global" Strataframe Database, which is not available after deployment, how does the compiled application now that its suppossed to connect to sql server 192.168.1.15 for example ?

And if this information is somehow provided through the ddt, its still very likely that its different from the development enironment.

what is the recommended way of handling this ?

using DataLayer.DataSources.Add(... ? to "manually" set the connection ?

Thanks.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...