Is it possible to use any database for RBS?

Author
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
If I want to add security features to my application will it be possible to create the RBS tables in the same database (Firebird) or the RBS can only be deployed in SLQ Server / SQL Express?

Yep, you were clear. And no, it is not possible to use Firebird to house the RBS tables, as there are some features in it that will need SQL Server 2005.

If the latter is true, how can I manage this situation since the database server is a Linux box? (and I don't want to run another server with Windows just to house the RBS database).

Well, you do need the Windows somewhere. Usually, when using other databases, people just set up a computer for that matter. Is it a major concern in your environment to have a computer running windows? Maybe you could put a penguin on the top of it to make everybody happy... BigGrin

By the way, I haven't been to Argentina yet, would love to go and visit the country some day. Where are you over there?

Marcelo A Modarelli
Marcelo A Modarelli
StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Ivan,

I appreciate your answer but I think I'm missing something. I will try to explain the issue again. I think I was not clear enough. Well the thing is this. I want to build an application that will use a FireBird database with several tables on it. This database will be accessed through OleDb and the database itself will be running in a Linux box (no problem with this since FireBird is a cross-platform database). If I want to add security features to my application will it be possible to create the RBS tables in the same database (Firebird) or the RBS can only be deployed in SLQ Server / SQL Express?

If the latter is true, how can I manage this situation since the database server is a Linux box? (and I don't want to run another server with Windows just to house the RBS database). The only thing I can imagine is to run a virtualized windows server in the same box, but it would be better if this can be avoided.

Thanks in advance. Marcelo. (Saludos desde Argentina)

Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Hey Marcelo.

Just set up a box with SQL Server Express 2005 and deploy the security tables to it.

Then, have a look at the post linked bellow to get the idea of how to set up your application.

http://forum.strataframe.net/FindPost8748.aspx

Abraços.

Marcelo A Modarelli
Marcelo A Modarelli
StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
As far as I'm concerned, RBS only works under SQL Server or SQL Express. As I mention above the application will use a Firebird database running in a Linux box. How can I add RBS features to this project? Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks, Marcelo.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...