Is it possible to use any database for RBS?

Author
Marcelo A Modarelli
StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
As far as I'm concerned, RBS only works under SQL Server or SQL Express. As I mention above the application will use a Firebird database running in a Linux box. How can I add RBS features to this project? Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks, Marcelo.

Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Hey Marcelo.

Just set up a box with SQL Server Express 2005 and deploy the security tables to it.

Then, have a look at the post linked bellow to get the idea of how to set up your application.

http://forum.strataframe.net/FindPost8748.aspx

Abraços.

Marcelo A Modarelli
Marcelo A Modarelli
StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)
Hi Ivan,

I appreciate your answer but I think I'm missing something. I will try to explain the issue again. I think I was not clear enough. Well the thing is this. I want to build an application that will use a FireBird database with several tables on it. This database will be accessed through OleDb and the database itself will be running in a Linux box (no problem with this since FireBird is a cross-platform database). If I want to add security features to my application will it be possible to create the RBS tables in the same database (Firebird) or the RBS can only be deployed in SLQ Server / SQL Express?

If the latter is true, how can I manage this situation since the database server is a Linux box? (and I don't want to run another server with Windows just to house the RBS database). The only thing I can imagine is to run a virtualized windows server in the same box, but it would be better if this can be avoided.

Thanks in advance. Marcelo. (Saludos desde Argentina)

Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
If I want to add security features to my application will it be possible to create the RBS tables in the same database (Firebird) or the RBS can only be deployed in SLQ Server / SQL Express?

Yep, you were clear. And no, it is not possible to use Firebird to house the RBS tables, as there are some features in it that will need SQL Server 2005.

If the latter is true, how can I manage this situation since the database server is a Linux box? (and I don't want to run another server with Windows just to house the RBS database).

Well, you do need the Windows somewhere. Usually, when using other databases, people just set up a computer for that matter. Is it a major concern in your environment to have a computer running windows? Maybe you could put a penguin on the top of it to make everybody happy... BigGrin

By the way, I haven't been to Argentina yet, would love to go and visit the country some day. Where are you over there?

Marcelo A Modarelli
Marcelo A Modarelli
Ivan, thanks again for your reply. Well it seems that I will have to go for the penguin + Virtualize Windows or Penguin + Windows (I'd prefer the first one).

Regarding your last question, I live nearby Buenos Aires city (just 10 blocks in the province !!!). The place is called Florida.Smile

If you think I could be useful in something related to Argentina, just let me know (a PM will do).

Abraços.

Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Ivan George Borges (09/05/2008)
If I want to add security features to my application will it be possible to create the RBS tables in the same database (Firebird) or the RBS can only be deployed in SLQ Server / SQL Express?

Yep, you were clear. And no, it is not possible to use Firebird to house the RBS tables, as there are some features in it that will need SQL Server 2005.

Hi Ivan,

I am quite intrigued by Firebird...been playing with it for several days, now.  I am just about to pull the trigger and implement my own DAL by inheriting from DbDataSourceItem.  What are the features of SQL Server 2005 that are required by the RBS?

Thanks,
Bill

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Bill Cunnien (09/08/2008)
I am quite intrigued by Firebird...been playing with it for several days, now.  I am just about to pull the trigger and implement my own DAL by inheriting from DbDataSourceItem.  What are the features of SQL Server 2005 that are required by the RBS?

Hi Bill,

What have you seen in Firebird so far that would make you switch from MS SQL?

I got an email for a free webcast on Advantage Database Server tomorrow here the info in case anybody is interested:

Advantage Database Server components and usage
Installation
Tools and Features
Where to go from here?
Your host will be Chris Franz, Sybase iAnywhere systems consultant. Chris has over 10 years of experience working with databases using many development languages such as Visual Basic, C#, Java and ASP.NET.

Date: Tuesday September 9th
Time: 10am & 2pm EDT / 3pm GMT / 4pm CET / 8am & 11am PDT

This is a free webcast, but registration is required.

Go to http://www.sybase.com/iaswebcast_ads_getting_started to register.

Edhy Rijo

Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
heh heh . . . not planning to switch, I am just intrigued.  Cool  It just seems like the RBS shouldn't be limited to SQL Server 2005.  So, that was the prompting for my question.  If everything can be handled by one DB (Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Firebird, or others), then the sky's the limit for the use of the DB.  Freedom to choose is quite invigorating...and, the more options open to a developer, the better.

My desire to create a DAL for this is simply a way for me to become more acquainted with the source code.  The more I learn, the better I will be with the framework.

Thanks!
Bill

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hey, not problem with changes sometimes Smile

I agree with you 100% on the freedom to use any of the major database, including MySQL which is pretty easy to use and install, and does not have the limitations of SQL-Express.

I am working on a project which is an after market application, customers buy licenses and use it.  It is done in VFP and now I am redoing it in SF, and I am pretty happy with the outcome, but I have a few lock out with the database and the RBS for this application, for example:

• A customer can buy a license for a main office and several branches, this mean they will host the database in the main office, but the security does not support multi office/branch, so it is either all users or one RBS database per office.
  • I could host the database for all customers for a nominal fee, but then again, I would need a separate RBS database per customers, unless I have my own server with redundance ($$$$), the cost per MS-SQL database and size limitations from ISP is also high.

MySQL hosting is very cheap and reliable, and until some enhancements are made to the RBS to at least allow using different Schema I really don't know how I would complete this project without investing a lot of money on hosting the database.

Edhy Rijo

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
A couple of thoughts:

- I'm currently using RBS and I'm using SQL Server 2000. It's not officially supported, but it works. Now, I don't think it will work with all the features, not entirely sure which ones it won't work with, but I've got an app in production using it. BigGrin

- While it wouldn't necessarily be easy, I think you could use RBS with your branch scenario Edhy. My app is based on "projects". I.e. it is used by consultants who work on projects for clients. My app allows a consultant to be assigned to any number of projects, with different permissions by project. They always work within the context of a project and can't ever see any data outside of that project (actually, there are situations were they can view data from other projects they are assigned to). This required a custom login form to not only login to the system but also determine what project they are login into. Also, the app has to be project centric, tracking the current project. This of course meant a few tables that go with the SF RBS tables to track user-project assignment, default project, etc. When I started, the BrowseDialog didn't support a "static" filter, or a filter that could be setup and the user couldn't ever change it, which means I had to build my own. The SF BrowseDialog does support this now, so that is good. Seems like this is very similar to your branches. Were you might have more challenges is if each branch is managing just its own users. In that case, you'd likely have to build your own security dialog (or a subset of it, to allow users to be setup and assigned roles/permissions).

- It would be great if the RBS were either db neutral or like the data layer, used a provider model, so even if SF doesn't want to deal with providing support for, say, Firebird, it would be possible to create the appropriate providers for it.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...