I would like to see some enhancements to the Business Object Mapper....

Author
William John Tello
StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
1.  I have noticed that sometimes I will forget to hit the <Check> button in the BOM after I have selected an entry in the multi-select drop down list box and some other changes, then I am surprised when nothing has changed after I hit the <Apply> button.

The BOM could be made smarter in that when ther user hits the <Apply> button, if nothing is checked to customize, then a confirmation dialog could appear which basically would state, "You are trying to apply changes, but you haven't selected anything to customize.  Did you forget to select what you want to customize?" and let the user select yes or no.

2.  Sometimes I will exit the BOM before doing a rebuild and wonder why my changes never made it into the business object.

The BOM could be changed so that if the user makes changes and then exits the BOM application, it is smart enough during its shutdown phase to present a confirmation dialog which basically would state, "You have made changes within the Business Object Mapper and have chosen not to do a rebuild of your business object.  Would you like to rebuild your business object now?" and let the user select yes or no.

3.  Lastly, I have created multiple business objects where I have mapped every System.String field to trim the data both left and right and to return an empty string on null, and every System.Decimal, System.Int16, System.Int32 and System.Int64 field to return a zero on null and every System.DateTime field to return a DateTime.MinValue on null, etc.  It would be nice id I could save subsets of changes like this to a template file which I could apply to other business objects.

I would like to see the BOM have the ability to save subsets of certain types of changes so that the same types of changes could be applied to any other business objects created.  I know the usefulness of this ability would be fairly limited in scope, but it would be great to have for those of us who are really lazy.

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am with you on all these suggestions.

I know that Microfour has to allocate time resources carefully and making UI changes to the DDT customize wizard might be time consuming when the future is to store the data a different way, so here's an alternate suggestion:

Since BOM is still in SQL Server, how about some SProcs with params that SF users could (at their own risk Smile ) play with to accomplish global tasks, like changing all datetimefields to return #1/1/1800# on a null value or handle a null uniqueidentifier.

I'm experimenting and I don't think it should be that difficult, but guys like Ben and Trent who sproc in their sleep could probably throw up some sample T-SQL that would get us a long way there and hold us until the whole DDT is rethought.

Guys? Cool

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...