Best Practice to Use Views or Tables with SQL Databases and BOs

Author
Russell Scott Brown
StrataFrame User (258 reputation)StrataFrame User (258 reputation)StrataFrame User (258 reputation)StrataFrame User (258 reputation)StrataFrame User (258 reputation)StrataFrame User (258 reputation)StrataFrame User (258 reputation)StrataFrame User (258 reputation)StrataFrame User (258 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Coming from a VFP and VPME background, I am wondering what is the best practice for applications that use SQL Databases.  In VFP applications I normally use Views for Forms and Reports and separate them into two or more databases.  Also, I would try to use Views instead of Filters most of the time.  Is the way I would do it in VFP still the best way for SQL database applications?

- Is it best to separate tables and views into separate databases?  I noticed the Strataflix and Strataframe samples both show views and tables together in the same DB but this may be just for simplification

- Should Maintenance Forms be based on views or tables?

- Should Reports use views or tables?

- When is it best to use a View as opposed to a table or a table with a filter?

- Also, I plan to develop applications using SF that I want to be able to sell just parts of as well as the entire application as a whole.  For example, I'm working on a Safety Review application that could be sold as a complete package or someone might just want to purchase the OSHA package, ADA package, Driver/Employee File package, Vehicle Inspections package, etc.  I might also have a Lite/Express version too for example.

- I'd be interested how others are doing it and what make the most sense in terms of flexibility, especially since I have the opportunity to start from "scratch" so to speak.

Thanks!

Russ Brown (Using C#2010/SQL Server 2008)

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Threaded View
Threaded View
Russell Scott Brown - 16 Years Ago
Trent L. Taylor - 16 Years Ago
Aaron Young - 16 Years Ago
Ivan George Borges - 16 Years Ago
Juan Carlos Pazos - 16 Years Ago
                         Hola Juan. Si, prepararé un ejemplo para usted y pondré aquí.
                             [quote][b]Ivan George Borges (10/31/2008)[/b][hr]Hola Juan. Si,...
Edhy Rijo - 16 Years Ago
                                 Hey Edhy. I can read it, but not really write it. I asked for help...
                                     Hi Juan. I read the code I posted to you and noticed I didn't code...
                             Here you are. Get your view ready with the Parent and all its...
Edhy Rijo - 16 Years Ago
                         I still have to use (but not for much longer :)) VPME andxCase2VPM and...
Aaron Young - 16 Years Ago
Juan Carlos Pazos - 16 Years Ago