BO IsDirty set to false after failed save

Author
Govinda Berrio
StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
First of all I'd like to say that this is most likely a problem with the way the page is contructed by me. I know that because I created a small test web app that does show what I'm about to explain.

I coded this page doing testing here and there. One day I was on a record that was saved before I had set the require fields validation on the BO. I saved the record, saw the validation error message for one of the required fields being blank, and for some reason I just hit Save again. To my surprise, the form saved successfully. Or rather, the BO.Save() method return "Success". After some digging I found that the BO was losing track of the fact that the record was dirty. It was registering as dirty for the first save (IsDirty == true) but on the second save, IsDirty was false. So I think what's happening is that Strataframe isn't attempting to check rules or save. And I don't do any reloading of the record in between. The BO is part of the BasePage so it's getting stored in the Session.

I tried manually setting the record to dirty with BO.CurrentRow.SetModified() but I get an error saying that the row state has to be Unchanged in order to use SetModified or SetAdded. I tried updating a timestamp field on the BO (ex. Customer.Created = DateTime.Now) and the record was still not registering as dirty.

I'm just going to validate the required fields manually and move on, I've spent too much time on this already.

So I know there's something I'm doing wrong because it works in a simple implementation. But I wanted to get it out there and see if anyone else has had a similar experience and if they found a reason and a solution.

Thanks

Govinda
Govinda Berrio
Govinda Berrio
StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)StrataFrame User (132 reputation)
I meant to say that the small test app DOES NOT show the same behavior.
Chan
Chan
Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

Do you think we are facing the same problem?

http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic20974-6-1.aspx
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Well, I am unsure of exactly what is happening to you, so let'st just talk about how it works which may help you out.  The IsDirty flag is a dynamic property meaing that it reflects the internal DataTable to determine if there are any modified, added, etc. records.  So the only way that this property will reflect a False is if there is nothing modified within the DataTable.

Now if an unhandled exception occurs, then you can start to have goofy behavior like this.  But the Save will always stop unless you handle the BusinessRulesChecked event and set the e.IgnoreRulesAndForceSave parm to True (The property name may be slightly differently named that what I posted...but it will be close Smile).

I would imagine that it is one of these elements that is causing this.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Chan has a point about the transactions on his other post.  If you are using transactions, this could have an effect as well.

In any of these cases, the very first thing that I would do, is look to see if an exception is being thrown anywhere and just now showing up.  The best way to do this is to put your app in debug mode, run it, and then before you execute the code that is failing, do a Ctrl+Alt+E (default shortcut) in Visual Studio which should show the Exceptions dialog.

Check the Common Language Runtime Exceptions action:

Click OK, then go execute the code that is failing and see if any exceptions break.  This would be the first place I would start.  Remember to turn this off later otherwise you will see a lot of exceptions that are not actually causing issues and could be legtimatelly thrown and handled exceptions.

Govinda Berrio
Govinda Berrio
I am using transactions. I'll try running through it in debug mode with that setting in the Exceptions dialog set.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how I make out.
Chan
Chan
Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (541 reputation)
Hi,

In my case, the exception thrown caused by database FK constraint. I am able to catch it and call BusinessLayer.TransactionRollback(). However, the IsDirty doesn't return correct value.

Why don't TransactionRollback() call ResetIsSavedOnTransactionFlagOnBusinessObjects() ?

Thank you
Govinda Berrio
Govinda Berrio
Still getting this weird behavior. Maybe I'll cook up a batch of programming funkiness. Wink

Throw in some.... I'm not handling BusinessRulesCheck so I'm not influencing a force save.

And a little... there's no exception occuring in Common Language Runtime (thrown or unhandled).

mmmmm... This might be strange too, on the second save, the BO.CurrentRow.RowState == Added. I guess I should mention here that the testing I've been doing after finding the problem has been to create a new row, skip a required field and hit save. The second save is where the problem is. So it makes sense that the row state would be Added, but based on your previous comment, Trent, the BO should detect this and set IsDirty to true. But it's not.

And an extra dash of weirdness... on the second save, when my code sees that the save result was "success", I call TransactionCommit("") (I just noticed this), and after that line, IsDirty is set to true again.

mmmm... smell that? Blink

Chan
Chan
Hi,

May I know if SF team is checking on it?

I need it to be solve urgently.

Please advice.

Thank you
Govinda Berrio
Govinda Berrio
Trent,

you were right about the an exception occuring. What I had to do to see it, though, was to install the SF source code. Then I was able to see the handled exceptions, but I'm still confused about what's happening.

The first exception that's hit is in SetPropertyValue: "Object of type 'System.Int32' cannot be converted to type 'System.String'."

The line is 188:

GetPropertyInfo(OwnerType, PropertyName).SetValue(Owner, Value, Nothing)

based on the comments there, this is an issue that you've encountered before. Also, it looks like the code that would work for me has been comment out.... ?

'-- Set the property

' TLT Changed 10/14/2005 to force the value through the object type converter.

' the reason this was done was for the web. The SelectedValue of a combo box

' was a string and the actual value was an Int32. This caused a data type conversion

' error.

GetPropertyInfo(OwnerType, PropertyName).SetValue(Owner, Value, Nothing)

'With GetPropertyInfo(OwnerType, PropertyName)

' .SetValue(Owner, ConvertValue(Value, .PropertyType), Nothing)

'End With

Got any advice?

Thanks,

Govinda

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...