Token not saving between .NET sessions

Author
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am setting a token in tools\options\environmen\tasklist

I can add it to the list, I can use it in the comments of the task list, but when I close VS and reopen it the token is gone. All other Options setting save just fine and in 2 other VS installations on two other boxes the token is there after exiting and coming back.

If I export settings, then reimport them on starting up again the token is there, but if I then close VS and reopen it the token is gone. w00t

Have rebooted the box a couple times. Vista with all the latest.

Suggestions appreciated.

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Charles,

Try running VS as an Administrator, right click the VS shortcut and select "Run as Administrator".

Edhy Rijo

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)
Sounded good but that didn't do it either. (actually, the only account I use on that box is an admin account but I did as you suggested anyway but unfortunately didn't make any difference)

It does make a difference for some stuff when using SSMS with SQL 2008 so I was pretty excited about the idea though.

I imagine this stuff is kept in an xml file someplace and mine thinks that field doesn't have to be changed when I close.

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
SOLUTION !

It was Greg McGuffey's fault!Tongue

Greg turned me on to a great source control tool VisualSVN.

Turns out ( god I love Google ) that with VisualSVN installed and a project open the tokens won't get saved. You have to open VS without opening a project, add the custom token to the list, then close VS. Next time you open up the token is there.

Go figure.

( VisualSVN worth checking out (little source control joke there). ) Free, extremely easy to install and at least for a single developer just trying to cover his tail looks like a pretty good solution (certainly a better one than no source control Smile )
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Blush That is good to know for the next time I recommend VisualSVN.
Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
I think you can be forgiven on this one BigGrin

Pretty obscure bug but a great recommendation for (and urging to use) source control !
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...