Creating a messaging/chat like server

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Thanks Trent,

"End" did the trick. I knew it should be something really simple BigGrin

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
In VB you can just call "End":

End

But the Exit should have worked. I use this at times to provide an exit code so I can tie into other applications (or shells ) and take logic if a certain exit code occurs.
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)
Hi Trent,

I am trying to implement my version of Service Console to send the connection information to a SF application. In the AppMain.vb I need to communicate with the Service and get the connection, so far so good, I am doing this in the SetDataSources(), but if something is wrong and I need to close the application how do I do that?

I tried something like:

System.Windows.Forms.Application.Exit()

Exit sub

But the flow of the StrataFrameApplication.RunApplication() continues instead of exiting. Any recommendation on how to stop the application if I don't get the connection string from my Service?

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
One more question, for the client do you allow the end user to type in the IP address of the Server to connect to or is there a way for the client to discover the Server?

We do allow it if the server cannot be automatically located.  We use a UDP boradcast from the client if it cannot connect t the server.  The server is listening on that UDP port and sends out a UDP broadcast of its location to which the client will retrieve the servers location and login.  You can find a lot of samples on the internet about this.  I did a quick serach and found some CodeProject samples.  Here is a chart sample that uses a UDP broadcast.

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/socketsincs.aspx?fid=2956&df=90&mpp=25&noise=3&sort=Position&view=Quick&select=1070795

Edhy Rijo
E
Trent,

One more question, for the client do you allow the end user to type in the IP address of the Server to connect to or is there a way for the client to discover the Server?

In my case, I would like to keep the client locked down to the network segment they are installed on, this way a customer with different branches will not be able to connect to the Server Service from remote locations.

Any suggestion on how to handle this logistic situation? Hehe

Edhy Rijo

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Awesome Edhy!

I'm jonesing to work on a service like this myself...alas, no time at the moment. Crying

I'll be referring back to this thread when I do though!
Edhy Rijo
E
Hi Trent/Greg,

Just a note to say thanks again.  So far I was able to create my version of a Server Console and a Server Service using the IP*Works library from www.nsoftware.com and the book for Windows Services suggested by Greg in this thread.

This has been a great experience working outside of just the database process, using secured XML files managed by the SF Business Object to store the Server Settings information and using a ListView with all the goodies of the SF BO to show connected clients without saving any data to a database, this whole process shows once again the power in the SF framework.

On a side note, I was having a lot of trouble with the IP*Works and sending the BO as a byte array, despite Trent's support replies I could not make it work to a satisfactory level, so I decided to simply use a predefined string which I then parsed and it worked just great.

Thanks guys! Tongue

Edhy Rijo

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Trent L. Taylor (03/11/2009)
Using the ServiceController class. It makes it really easy!

Cool! I'll check that out.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
I am not sure what e.TextB is, but assuming it is the serizlized byte array, you are not placing the deserialized BO into a variable:

loBo = BusinessLayer.DeserializeBusinessObject(e.TextB)

And you will need to type is as well.  So it would look more like this:

Dim loBO As bizConnectedClients
loBO = DirectCast(BusinessLayer.DeserializeBusinessObject(e.TextB), bizConnectedClients)

Edhy Rijo
E
Trent,

Thanks for the info.  Now back to serialization, I am trying to use the SerializeToByteArray but it is not working for me, I have the feeling my code is not correct, here is  my approach:

' Serialize the BO into a ByteArray

Dim pszOutByte As System.Byte()

pszOutByte = Me.bizConnectedClients1.SerializeToByteArray

' DeSerialize the BO from a ByteArray

Dim loBO As New bizConnectedClients

BusinessLayer.DeserializeBusinessObject(e.TextB)

Me.BizConnectedClients1.CopyDataFrom(loBO, BusinessCloneDataType.ClearAndFillFromDefaultView)

loBO.Dispose()

In above code e.TextB contain the serialized BO byte stream. When testing this I get the following error when trying to Deserialize the BO:

SerializationException
  The input stream is not a valid binary format. The starting contents (in bytes) are: 34-31-36-32-32-34-36-33-0D-0A-54-65-73-74-20-4F-6E ...

Source     : System.Windows.Forms

Stack Trace:
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at nsoftware.IPWorks.Ipport.nsoftware.core.IIpportEvents.FireDataIn(Byte[] text, Boolean EOL)

What is it that I am missing here?

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...