Backup SQL database

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Trent,

I am trying to implement an SQL database backup solution based on the sample code you posted on http://forum.strataframe.net/FindPost15065.aspx

So far everything works fine if the database to be backup is hosted on my local computer, but if I am trying to backup a database hosted on my ISP server, the backup is never created.

I modified your sample solution to use SQL User Authentication, and I am able to authenticate, and I don't get any error, so the connection is fine I even added the logic to list the Databases as implemented in the SQLServerConnectionPage.vb so I am sure I am connecting to the ISP database.  Is there a limitation or a security feature in SQL Server that does not allow the backup of a remote database?

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Edhy,

This is a very good question and I honestly don't know exactly what your issue may be.  Since this is stored on the ISP side, then I would suspect that the IO side of things are being restricted at the Windows Security level.  ISPs, and rightly so, are very restrictive on these types of things.  SQL Server also has limitations as to where the BACKUP files can be placed (also around the OS and DB Security side of things).  But if I had to guess, I would suspect that this has to do with IIS/DB/Windows Security permissions.  I would probably start with the latter.

Let me know what you find on this as I would be curious as to what you discover.  I do not have an ISP account that I could set this up on at preset.  But I am still interested on what you find.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...