Slow display of default login screen via ES

Author
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
The initial login screen is taking about 10 seconds to display when connecting to the SQL Server via ES (over internet), after login the application is very responsive. Anything I can check?

Switching to local SQL displays the login almost instantly. I can see a small lag time but 10 seconds seems wrong. I have ES running under its own app pool and I have recycled and restarted it.

Thanks.

Keith Chisarik

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Well, that sounds a bit odd.  But the only thing that I could figure is the VPN firing up.  If you have a VPN, proxy, firewall, and/or web filter between you and the ES server, then that could be the point of slowness.  So it sounds like when the first connection being established to the ES server is happening you are having the slowness.  So the first place I would look is the aformentioned items. 

Next, or potentially first, whichever you feel may be the culprit, I would look at the ES server.  If the web service hasn't been contacted in a while, then the first time may be a little slower (10 seconds sounds like a lot for this though).

You might create a quick test app that does nothing but attempt to perform a query from the ES server and then you could get a better idea of where the issue may be. 

Last, you could load a profiler to see where the timings are slow.  Without actually having my hands on the client and the server it is hard for me to give a straight answer, so I am just throwing out some ideas of things to check.

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Solution:

I hadn't yet added my messaging as an embedded XML resource. Once I did that the login screen takes 1-2 seconds the first time and is almost instant after that, as you said. Hope that might help someone else down the road. It started taking longer as I added messages, and I was able to put two and two together (not bad for a Friday).

Keith Chisarik

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...