Data Deploy Fails on XML Fields

Author
Derek Price
StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
We have a simple table with no relationships that is not deploying data due to an XML Field. The DDT error is shown in the attached file "DDT_Data_Deploy_Error.png" and the actual table properties are in the file "Settings_Table_XML.png." Here's a snippet from the text log file:

2/10/2009 8:57:49 AM-> Deploying data from OHRSettings...

2/10/2009 8:57:49 AM-> An error occurred while deploying the data to the server.

2/10/2009 8:57:49 AM-> SqlException

2/10/2009 8:57:49 AM-> Procedure or function 'OHRSettingsInsertOverwrite' expects parameter '@SettingsXML', which was not supplied.

We have a Data Deployment package that will copy data if the User_fk = -1. If there's any data that matches this, the deploy fails with the above message. I checked that the OHRSettingsInsertOverwrite SP is on the db and it is:

USE [SYSTOC800]

GO

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[OHRSettingsInsertOverwrite] Script Date: 02/10/2009 10:26:24 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[OHRSettingsInsertOverwrite] @OHRSettings_pk as Int, @User_fk as Int, @RetrievalKey as VarChar(255), @GroupKey as VarChar(255), @SettingsXML as Xml, @RowVersion as Int, @RowState as TinyInt AS BEGIN DELETE FROM OHRSettings WHERE OHRSettings_pk = @OHRSettings_pk SET IDENTITY_INSERT OHRSettings ON INSERT INTO OHRSettings (OHRSettings_pk, User_fk, RetrievalKey, GroupKey, SettingsXML, RowVersion, RowState) VALUES (@OHRSettings_pk, @User_fk, @RetrievalKey, @GroupKey, @SettingsXML, @RowVersion, @RowState) SET IDENTITY_INSERT OHRSettings OFF END

Have you run into any issues with XML fields? If so, do you have a workaround for this situation? I can provide more info if you need it.

Thanks,

Derek
Attachments
DDT_Data_Deploy_Error.png (205 views, 37.00 KB)
Settings_Table_XML.png (205 views, 6.00 KB)
Dustin Taylor
Dustin Taylor
StrataFrame Team Member (484 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Do you have an example of where you are calling the custom insert procedure?

If I understand correctly, you are deploying everything, and then via a script are seeding deployment data based off of the PK of your user field. So if there are any -1 users, you are calling the OHRSettingsInsertOverwrite stored sproc to insert the values/settings.  Can you copy/paste the code that does that check on -1 and then calls the insert?

I haven't used XML parameters myself much, but I'll check with the other guys and see if they are aware of any gotchas there. In the mean time the above will help us get a better picture of what exactly is happening.

Thanks! Smile

Derek Price
Derek Price
StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (89 reputation)
You've almost got it. We do NOT create the OHRSettingsInsertOverwrite stored proc anywhere in our DDT package, so we have to assume that StrataFrame is generating it. I've attached the table properties of the OHRSettings table. We have no other SP defined anywhere named "OHRSettingsInsertOverwrite." I've attached a screenshot of the auto-generated SP which do not include OHRSettingsInsertOverwrite. I've also attached our data deployment section.
Attachments
Settings_Auto_SP.png (189 views, 3.00 KB)
Settings_Table_Properties.png (185 views, 28.00 KB)
Settings_Deploy_Data.png (190 views, 26.00 KB)
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Derek, there is no way we are going to get to the bottom of this like this.  StrataFrame should not be creating anything outside of what you saw in the table properties section.  So there is something else in the mix here.  We will need your PKG file and anything else that may be needed in order to reproduce your problem.  We are going to have to reproduce this in order to give you any type of direct answer.

Also, do you get the same error if you deploy to a new database (instead of updating an existing database)?  Thanks.

Derek Price
Derek Price
Hi Trent - it's been emailed.

Thanks
Dustin Taylor
Dustin Taylor
StrataFrame Team Member (484 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Derek Smile

I've been working with your package file here, and it looks like we are going to have to come at this from another angle. I can't get the package file you gave me to deploy to my localhost even far enough to get the error you are seeing. Can you reproduce this in a smaller scale to remove some of the other factors? If you can get me a package that only has a single databse with a single table, and the fewest attributes to reproduce your issue, that will make things much easier.

Also, as I understand it you are doing procedures based on the data that already exists in the database (i.e. looking for primary keys of -1), correct? If so, the small sclae database that corresponds with your package file and send that along as well it would be great. That way we'll know we are working from the same starting point.

Thanks!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...