Deploying Role Based Security with DDT

Author
Jon Neale
StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I am trying to evaluate the Role Based Security but am struggling to get it up and running. I've read through the Deploying Security Data and downloaded the script as directed:

"Download the Script - Click here to download the script.  Once downloaded, extract the .sql file from the Zip."

But when I try to use the Role based Security Function in VS and add new I keep getting an error stating:

Invalid object name 'dbo.SFSProjects'.

Which is correct as that table doesnt exist in the script.

I have tried a few things and got a bit further only to find a different problem so I have started again.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Jon

Jon Neale
Jon Neale
StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)
Sorry it should say without DDT, as I am not using the DDT.

Hey its getting late over here in the UK!!

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Jon,

The SFSProjects tables is in the StrataFrame database, thus it isn't part of the RBS deployment script. This is used to allow you to develop security for multiple projects.

The most likely issue, I'd think, would be that you don't have the connection to the StrataFrame database setup properly. If you go to the StrataFrame menu in VS and then to the Database Connection item, make sure that the connection is set and pointing to a valid StrataFrame database.

Also, I'd only expect that this error would occur if you were attempting to use the security dialog from the StrataFrame menu in VS (though there could be other places this could occur, I just can't think of them Ermm ).

BTW, deployment of security data can be...er...exciting without DDT. With DDT it is very easy.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Greg is right on the money.  Let me know if you don't have any luck.
Jon Neale
Jon Neale
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Originally I wasnt thinking of using DDT, but it seems if I am going to use Role Based Security then it might make my life easier.

I am only trialling the software can I use the DDT at this point? Currently I get a message saying its not licensed and that I need to purchase it.

A slightly separate question but from what can see I can add the RBS in towards the end of the project. Basically I am looking to re-write a product but initally I need to get the business function up and running in order to provide a "proof of concept", what I am hoping to do is add the RBS in towards the end. My investigations seems to allow me to create the permissions at any point and then associate them against the objects.

Is this correct?

Secondly if I didnt purchase the RBS and DDT to start with, just the framework to build the "proof of concept", does the Strataframe Project w/s still come in the framework?

Thanks again for all the input.

Jon

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
I am only trialling the software can I use the DDT at this point? Currently I get a message saying its not licensed and that I need to purchase it.

Yes.  When you activated your license, you did not select the DDT.  You selected the framework and RBS, but you did not select the DDT.  Just deactivate and then reactivate and select all 3 components.

Is this correct?

Yes.  As usual, it is always easier to do this as you go along, but you can always come back in and "retro-fit" your application with RBS.

Secondly if I didnt purchase the RBS and DDT to start with, just the framework to build the "proof of concept", does the Strataframe Project w/s still come in the framework?

Yes, but obviously you would not be able to add permissions, etc.  So it would allow you to create a project with that outline, but it would not be effective for you until you were able to add permissions, etc.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...