How do I tokenize a project template

Author
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm having a lot of fun with templates. I have created a number of item templates and found that I can use the $safeitemrootname$ token where I want the name substituted when I name the item as I create a new one from the template.

Now I want to do substitutions in the project templates I am creating. Think of the multiproject solution like strataflix. I have a similar project, I have stripped it down to its non-app-specific components and saved each project as a template, so I have SFWindowsApp, SFWindowsApp.Base, SFWindowsApp.Business, SFWindowsApp.UI, SFWindowsApp.Reporting.

I have templates for each, but of course SFWindowsApp references other projects by name and when the templates are actually used those names will change.

Of course I can manually change the references in each project, and do a global search and replace to fix namespaces and a few places where references may include SFWindowsApp.

But I also think I could do some other stuff if I knew how to fiddle the XML files in the ZIP and I even think there is a way to do the other substiutions with a wizard. Has anybody been down this road?

And can I make one template of the projects so I have a solution template?

Guidance appreciated. I'm sure a lot of other SF developers are like me and rather than spend all their time writing a supporting one big app they find themselves writing a lot of difference apps and any step toward RAD really pays off.

TIA

Charles

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...